• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How much FOV do you like? (1 Viewer)

I agree but I also think the tunnel like view 370ft@ 1000 yard at 8x gives you can just be unappealing to some people including me regardless of the habitat. Give me 400ft@ 1000 yard at 8x or better and I am a happy camper.

As much as I agree that more FOV is a desirable attribute under most circumstances, it does help to consider the real world application of these specs, if only to alleviate the concerns fueled by comparing stats, and perceiving a numerical shortcoming. The 30 ft. difference Dennis references occurs at 3000 ft., which corresponds to 3 ft. @ 300 hundred feet, and 1 ft. @ 100 ft. That is a margin of 6" on any side of the image circle at 100' at 8x. For Warbler chasing in close quarters it isn't as huge an advantage as it appears to be on paper.

Show me a 10x bin that has a 370' FOV... Are there any? The best might be the
Victory SF at 360ft@ 1000 yards. Granted one is trading FOV for increased magnification...

-Bill

As much as I agree that more FOV is a desirable attribute under most circumstances, it does help to consider the real world application of these specs, if only to alleviate the concerns fueled by comparing stats, and perceiving a numerical shortcoming. The 30 ft. difference Dennis references occurs at 3000 ft., which corresponds to 3 ft. @ 300 hundred feet, and 1 ft. @ 100 ft. That is a margin of 6" on any side of the image circle at 100' at 8x. For Warbler chasing in close quarters it isn't as huge an advantage as it appears to be on paper.

Victory SF at 360ft@ 1000 yards. Granted one is trading FOV for increased magnification...

-Bill

On the other hand, since our binos don't deliver a 'mail-box' view at 1,000 yds but instead give a circular view, if you work out the area of the circular field of view of Dennis's binos having 370ft and 400ft at 1,000 yds you find that the latter gives an area just short of 17% bigger and this percentage advantage applies at all distances. Seventeen percent isn't trivial. Thats 17% more sky, hillside, lake or sea every time you lift up your bins.

Lee

Last edited:
Hi Denco

Sorry been away a while and just saw your question about why I use 8x and not 7x. Personal preference really for sea watching. I tend to try and pick up on sightings quite a long way ahead of the ship, the sooner I can pick up on them the better chance I have of getting more people on the sightings.

I have always found 7 x not enough power for doing what I do, but it comes down to individual choice.

Regards
Dave

Starting to wonder about the eye cups on the Zeiss conquest 8 x 32 as I have managed to break two in a year and I cant remember breaking an eye cup on any other pair of binoculars.

Last edited:

-Bill

Hello Bill,

The Zeiss 10X32 FL claims to have 120m, or 393ft FOV. That binocular also has good eye relief, a tough combination to achieve.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Last edited:
Fov

-Bill

I agree 100%. It is the quality of the view.

A.W.

Wonder no longer...they're crap!
The Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 eye cups are rough and tight to move but I just leave mine all the way out and never adjust them. When I first got mine I couldn't get the eye cups out more than one click stop so I thought that was as far as they went out. Obviously I got all kinds of blackouts then I heard you unscrew the eye cups to change them out so I tried to unscrew them and suddenly they popped out two more click stops while partially unscrewing and then the blackouts weren't too bad. But if you adjusted your eye cups in and out frequently it would be a deal killer because they are really hard to adjust. It is funny Zeiss never corrected the problem over the years especially since the eye cups are replaceable. The rest of the binocular is exceptional for the price.

Last edited:
Hi Denco

Sorry been away a while and just saw your question about why I use 8x and not 7x. Personal preference really for sea watching. I tend to try and pick up on sightings quite a long way ahead of the ship, the sooner I can pick up on them the better chance I have of getting more people on the sightings.

I have always found 7 x not enough power for doing what I do, but it comes down to individual choice.

Regards
Dave
I agree with you on that. I have always found 7x a little weak for how I use my binocular also.

Dennis ... I did not do a good job on the wording of that note, so I deleted while you were posting. It looks like you also deleted your original note commenting that 393 feet being impressive.

Yes, 120m converts to 393 ft at 1,000m, but to put it in more conventional terms for us on the west side of the pond, the FL 10X32 FOV is 360 ft at 1,000 yards, not bad!

Dennis ... I did not do a good job on the wording of that note, so I deleted while you were posting. It looks like you also deleted your original note commenting that 393 feet being impressive.

Yes, 120m converts to 393 ft at 1,000m, but to put it in more conventional terms for us on the west side of the pond, the FL 10X32 FOV is 360 ft at 1,000 yards, not bad!

I always thought it was a pretty nifty fact that a simple multiplication (or division) by 3 gives a pretty dead on accurate conversion between the two.

I always thought it was a pretty nifty fact that a simple multiplication (or division) by 3 gives a pretty dead on accurate conversion between the two.

Agreed! It makes it easy for me to make the conversion in my head for my non metric orientation.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back