• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Affordable Japanese binoculars (1 Viewer)

nacmancer

I currently have a thing developed for Japanese produced binoculars, I really love their quality, does anyone know of any more Japanese binoculars sub $500 to add to my list? I recently snagged a Vortex Viper 8x28 on ebay, and it is most excellent, it's now the most precious binocular I own.

Bushnell Elite 7x26
Zeiss Terra 8x25/10x25
Kowa BD25
Vortex Viper 8x28/10x28 (discontinued, still purchasable on ebay)
Tract Tekoa series

Last edited:
Eii

They're really that good, huh? I've been tempted by these many times. Only thing that's held me back was the short ER (no glasses here).

The eye relief is just short of 14mm. I don't wear glasses either and the IR is for me is fine. They are a versatile glass and many people have used them in some fairly harsh conditions. Read some reviews by Holger Merlitz, they should provide some good info, he also compares them to a Meopta 8X32.

A.W.

You're hedging, again. They ARE one of the very best! :cat:

Bill

On this forum I've learned hedging as a survival tactic. It helps a lot when you're not very sure of what you're talking about. It's a skill to craft a post that appears to be authoritative and knowledgeable when in reality you're a perpetual newb. :eat:

On this forum I've learned hedging as a survival tactic. It helps a lot when you're not very sure of what you're talking about. It's a skill to craft a post that appears to be authoritative and knowledgeable when in reality you're a perpetual newb. :eat:

:t:

:t::t:

If you can squeeze up to $600 you could go for Opticron's Imagic VHD 8x42 from Adorama.
Very nice bino.

Lee

:t::t::t:

They're really that good, huh? I've been tempted by these many times. Only thing that's held me back was the short ER (no glasses here).

JG ... They are that good optically. I view without glasses and am able to see the full FOV and do not have blackout issues with the Nikon 8X30 EII. The eye relief specs of 13.8mm are on the short side but I have not found it an issue without glasses because the rubber eyecups are also on the short side and a good match to the eye relief.

I consider the EII 8X30 as one of the best considering the overall viewing experience under the right conditions of subject and light but probably not the best overall package for some. It has the wide FOV, the Porro image scale and 3D view and a little boost in some of the colors. The results can be spectacular.

It is more of special purpose rather than a general purpose binocular for me. I doubt it would be a good choice for one of your guided outings with not being water proof, the rubber eye cups, a small focus knob, slower focus and what is to me, a more awkward hold with the wide Porro body. However under the right circumstances, nothing beats it when it comes to the aesthetics of the view and it is one that is a great addition to the collection for us binocular enthusiasts.

One last comment is I would go with the 8X30 over the 10X35 if the goal is to get the most impressive overall view. I say this having both. That is because the 8X does a better job of bringing out the advantages of this Porro binocular. The 8X has a wider FOV and a greater depth of field and these characteristics will generally deliver a more impressive overall view.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/sportoptics/binoculars/nature/x32x35/spec.htm

Last edited:
Thank you BruceH. Very well said and easy to relate to. I have heard for years about the stellar view, and being I'm without an 8x32 class glass I thought about these EII's again, especially since it was brought up here. These would be just casual, take to a ballgame, taking a walk a looking at various birds and animals, and just fooling around with. I am looking for a vibrant, ultra sharp view without breaking the bank. The tougher guided hunts belong to my SV's and am happy with them.

I appreciate your thoughts and time.

I have a question about the Nikon EII. Do they sell for less in Japan? Turns out I know some people living in Tokyo and I was thinking maybe they could buy them there and bring them over as they come here about 4 times a year.

I cant find any information about this binocular, I dont know if it's a viable choice,

but there's the Vixen Artes 8x42, $430, made in Japan.

Last edited:
I like the Maven B.3 8X30mm. If I didn't wear glasses I'd still have it. But I do....it was VERY close to having enough ER.

The Tract Toric is a good one. I know it's not sub $500 but maybe worth the stretch.

(Ebay) still has Made in Japan Vortex Viper HDs here and there.

Opticron has several nice ones....Verano BGA HD(D/C but still available here and there) and as Lee mentioned the Imagic BGA VHD(no personal experience with this one).

One of the best surprises I have come across is the Sightron S-III 8X42 ED. I've had this binocular about two years. In the sub-$500 class, it will always be among the best optically.

Attachments

• DSC_0520.JPG
    DSC_0520.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_3341.JPG
    IMG_3341.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 147
I like my Maven 8x30 and since I don't wear glasses, eye relief is not a problem. Optics are exceptionally bright for a 30mm glass, and though it is light (16.5 oz) and compact, it's mechanics are very good, and it feels great in hand. Last i checked, they are right at the $500 price point. I believe Opticron has a similar binocular made at the same factory in 32mm for a similar price. I only tried the Opticron briefly at a show, but the similarity of heritage was obvious.

If you are interested in their binoculars, Maven is a good company to work with in choosing a binocular. They have an interesting trial program. You buy a "lightly used" loaner binocular at about a 10% discount; actually it is a little better than that because they shipped me more accessories than normal. If you like the loaner you can keep it, or you can return it for a full refund, or you can return it and buy a brand new version at full price. I had them ship me an 8x30 and a 6x30. Both seemed brand new to me so I kept the 8x30 and returned the 6x30. They come in various color combinations and are also customizable, but the loaner color I got was fine with me.

Alan

I just bought the Bushnell Elite 7x26 after reading Opticreviewers.com writeup about it. Its's coming in a few days.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back