• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

video birding (1 Viewer)

gary blackwood

Does anyone know which camcorder is best for videoing wildlife, is the panasonic nv-gs400 or the jvc gz-mc500 any good, they are also supposed to take good stills at 4and5 million pixels. :stuck:

Extra lens

gary blackwood said:
Does anyone know which camcorder is best for videoing wildlife, is the panasonic nv-gs400 or the jvc gz-mc500 any good, they are also supposed to take good stills at 4and5 million pixels. :stuck:

Don't forget you will need a teleconverter of at least 2X probably more for these cameras. Can you find one for the camera of your choice.

gary blackwood said:
Hi
I have a much lower end Panasonic gs-39, it comes with 30x zoom which works very well for video birding. Sometimes while birding with this camera a bird shows up very close to me, I don't gather I would have been able to unscrew a teleconverter quick enough to have gotten a good video of these guys. A 2x teleconverter will only get you to 24x which when i tried the 25x canon zr600, wasn't quite enough for my tastes.

best birding video gear

valzuniga said:
Hi
I have a much lower end Panasonic gs-39, it comes with 30x zoom which works very well for video birding. Sometimes while birding with this camera a bird shows up very close to me, I don't gather I would have been able to unscrew a teleconverter quick enough to have gotten a good video of these guys. A 2x teleconverter will only get you to 24x which when i tried the 25x canon zr600, wasn't quite enough for my tastes.

from what Ive read in various wildlife and pro video literature, arguably the best video camera is Canons EX series, these fanrastic machines are based on a small mini DV video cassette, but they use fulll size proper canon optics (I dont think they use digital zooms, just pure opticals). The viewfinders, handgrip and lenses are more what you'd find on a professional broadcast grade camera. I think the video produced is broadcast quality, and the latest model is high definition (1050 lines PAL).
You can find these used on EBAY for about a grand upwards (the new high def is about £4500).

oh, they are also the coolest piece of kit youve ever seen :cool:

having said all this the finest broadcast material is still shot on celluloid(Planet Earth, any Attenbrough etc)

ragards
Dave

I have been thinking of purchasing a video camera for use in my horse business. (It is great for marketing the movement of a horse.) Nice to see that I could use one for birding as well.

Can you use the Canon EX series to capture a still frame and post it on this forum? Sometimes I would like to verify my ids.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back