• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best place in Scotland to watch both Golden Eagles and White-tailed Eagles (1 Viewer)

Markus Jais

hello
I am planning a trip to scotland, probably spring next year.

is there a place where I can watch both Golden Eagles and White-tailed Eagles. I know about Skye as a good place but I have never been to Scotland before.

is Skye good for this eagles ? are there any other interesting sea birds like gannets ?

are the any other great places in Scotland where to watch these raptors.

I already searched some on google and will also buy the book "where to watch birds in scotland" but maybe there is some additional information.

Markus

Hi Markus,

People might be reluctant to give precise information about such species due to the threat posed by nest thieves. The very general information you'd find in Where to Watch Birds in Scotland may be the best available and should allow both to be seen. That book should also have appropriate details about various seabirds etc.

Spud

Gruinard Bay is an excellent site for White-tailed Eagles, the birds can often be seen loafing around on Gruinard Island on the beach or the hill slope near the summit of the island:- Good weather is a prequisite here and i`ve often "dipped out" when i`ve turned up in poor weather & rain.

I never seem to have any success for Golden Eagles along the Findhorn Valley for Golden Eagles but thats probably just me.

Forest Lodge (RSPB reserve near Grantown on Spey) can produce Golden Eagle Sightings. Looking across the Valley to the distant mountains.

Last edited:
Maybe a little more care should be exercised within the forum regarding Schedule One breeding bird sites in which details are a little too precise?

I appreciate this is often done with all good intention. Are posts checked just in case a little too much information is made public?

One example in particular above.

JP

Agreed in principle that sensitive data shouldn't be given away, but there's nothing here that isn't already widely in the public domain, nor anything detailed enough to help an egg thief.

Michael

I also feel that the information given here falls within what is reasonable for a forum.

However, JP, we appreciate your concerns and input.

To answer your question, posts checked in the sense that we have many members well briefed in the rights and wrongs of disseminating this kind of information.

I am sure you can appreciate that it is not possible to pre-moderate every single post to such a large forum, but the Admin Staff and Moderators can, and do, act upon any complaints received.

If you genuinely feel any post gives away too much information, do feel free to "Report" the post, and also express your specific concerns.

I`m assuming that you are refering to my post when questioning detailed site information:-

But there is no access possible to Gruinard Island (What with it being infected with Anthrax and all that!)

They were supposed to have decontaminated the anthrax about 10 or 15 years ago (it was put there during WWII biowarfare tests), but I don't really see how they can have without sterilising the whole island down to the bedrock, and the native vegetation is still there so they can't have done that. So I would assume the anthrax spores are still there buried in the peat. They are very durable and can last a very long time. I guess it is significant that there's still no grazing on Gruinard.

Michael

Last edited:
Jasonbirder said:
I`m assuming that you are refering to my post when questioning detailed site information:-

But there is no access possible to Gruinard Island (What with it being infected with Anthrax and all that!)

No, I wasn't referring to your post directly and appreciate the points made that many places such as Gruinard are certainly well known. I was just making a general point, as other "Newsgroups" generally have a policy that this subject just be kept "off-topic" to avoid any ensuing debates.
Similarly the birdlines filter out sightings of such species. I can fully understand that it is impossible to administor all posts.

I think the Anthrax has gone, though I did one day see a few people wandering around there in "Spacesuits", bizzarely persued by a film crew in just T-Shirts and Jeans.

J Poyner

Mull could probably the best place to see both eagles. You can get exceptional veiws, legally, of the WTE nest at Loch Frisa from a purpose built hide.
Reassuringly, Mull has a very good eagle watch scheme each year to protect the nest sights. Eagles on Mull are often seen from the roadside with no need to disturb them.
Hope you enjoy your trip to Scotland.

Jasonbirder said:

I've dived off Gruinard point and near the Island so would be concerned about any details where Eagle nests could be found or seen. Best policy is always not to be too specific.

Last year,somewhere in Scotland,by an Island,possibly begining in G!!!
(obviously I'm being facetious but caution is required)

We found that if the birds where not present, scope the back of Fishing vessels, who occasionally feed them scraps ; a large powerful Raptor is very different from the usual gulls!!

jpoyner said:
Maybe a little more care should be exercised within the forum regarding Schedule One breeding bird sites in which details are a little too precise?

I appreciate this is often done with all good intention. Are posts checked just in case a little too much information is made public?

One example in particular above.

JP

Funny you should say that as the egg collectors probably have better gen than we do. Catching them and throwing away the key or them off a cliff would be improve the situation.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back