• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newly designed Audubons? (1 Viewer)

IHi..not sure if the protruding part that was dropped off the new body design was the bulkier prism area,due to oversized prisms,that the old 820 featured.The oversized prism actually cut the aperture of the bino,so these new version could have a real 44mm aperture and be a bit brighter.

Last edited:
Hi, I am new to this forum and not a birdwatcher. I happened to step in here because I just received an 820ED and noticed a different look from what was advertised, so I started searching for news about it.
It seems my 820ED is the latest model. So here are my first impressions.

Can't compare to other binoculars (apart from an older Nikon 10x25 Sportstar); but the image is stunning, very clear, defined, nice neutral colours, and with a distinctive tri-dimensional effect. Don't know if top expensive roof prism binoculars can be better, but it's hard to think so.
Grip is very nice. In my view, the diopter adjustment could be made better by just having adjustment number marks in order to setup quicker. Oculars are 3-positions twist-up, very large though, I guess they will easily suffer backlighting. The bridge seems OK to me, but again I have no terms for comparison.
The only shortcoming I can see of is the following: the focousing mechanism is not what I would call 'smooth' and its resistance changes irregularly while turning the (comfortably large) ring.
The big plus I can detect comparing to pictures of the older model is in that the rubber armouring, now having separate parts for the cylindrical front "tubes", does not have the protruding junction edge (don't know how to define it better in English) that shows very clearly in the pictures of the former model. Plus, I appreciate the new "plain" look compared to the former gimmicky one. I also guess that dropping the bright badge button, the body is now less visible by your shy viewing subjects.
Ah, it's made in Japan.

Grazie tanto, .g.e.o.!

I've been waiting for someone to take the plunge and buy a pair. Apparently, so has Elaine.

I think the technical term for that "protruding junction edge" you are talking about on the original 820 is a "nose jammmer". I have a high bridged nose (courtesy of my Italian grandparents on my mother's side, who came from Bari) and the protruding nose jammer touched the bridge of my nose so I couldn't get close to the eyepieces, which were so HUGE that it didn't matter anyway since they didn't fit inside my eye sockets.

Swift later cut out the middle of the eyecups and made the eyecups into thin rings. Here's photos of that second generation eyecup:

http://www.allbinos.com/lornetki_image/1360_swift_p2.jpg

You mentioned that the eyecups on the new version were also very large. The whole design reminds me of the B & L Discoverer. The EP size is a concern, so thats something I'll need to try out myself. They look more comfortable than the previous super wide, hard plastic eyecups and the "rings".

I noticed the prism cutoff on the original 820s, I called Swift, which actually let you talk to a technician back then, and he said that's the way they were designed, the prism edge cuts slightly into the exit pupils.

Do you see any prism cutoff in the new version?

The original 820 had a stiff focuser, probably due to the waterproofing. But the "irregularity" in the focuser on your sample reminds me of the Swaro EL I tried, which had some rough spots where the focuser would "stick" and then loosen up past those spots.

Well, Stephen Ingraham, formerly of Better View Desired, called the 820 Audubon the "Poor Man's EL". Some other bins that had the same problem were the original version 7x36 ED2 and the Leupold 8x42 Cascades porro. So you can get rough focusers at various price points, from alphas to omegas, and in both porros and roofs.

From what the owner of the Leupold told me, who had five samples!, some were better than others, so I'm wondering if your focuser is typical or on the worse end of sample variation. We'll find out when more people get these new 820s in their hands.

I'd like to see the new 820 matched against the new SV EL and see if that still hold true, at the center at least, I"m sure the edges aren't as good since the Audubons don't have field flatteners.

Allbinos measured the 820 to be sharp to about 70% out from center? Does that seem about right?

How quickly does the sharpness fall off after that? Is it gradual or does it go from being sharp to blurry quickly?

Also, did you have a chance to test the chromatic aberration control with a high contrast background (doesn't have to a bird, any target will do)? ED glass should reduce CA to a minimum at the center if the other optical elements are well matched. The ED glass is also supposed to show 15% better contrast and color saturation, according to Swift.

I still have my 820 HR/5 MC Audubon. Works great, very sharp, good edges, in fat, I mainly use it for stargazing, but it lacks the better coatings technology and ED glass of modern bins.

Ciao,
Brock

Attachments

• B&Ldiscoverer porros.jpg
    B&Ldiscoverer porros.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 177
  • Swift 820 Audubon Neu 4.jpg
    Swift 820 Audubon Neu 4.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 193
Hi,
sorry for my faulty language, the "protruding junction edge" I was referring to might be better described as the rim at the junction of what apparently are the two halves the rubber coating is made of, along the outer sides of the binocular: just a cosmetic thing.

The eyepieces have been modified, but the outer diameter seems more or less the same: the new cups are thicker, and probably more comfortable, but gained thickness towards the inside.

As for the prism edge cutoff, I don't know what to look for, so sorry I can't help, but the view seems to bo unobstructed.

Definitely not flat field, but edge view is still very sharp: if you adjust focus, the image seems to me almost as sharp as the center, just a bit duller and showing what seems to me some faint asthigmatism. Sharpness falloff seems to me very very slight, if any, over a large part of the field, and more noticeable only et the extreme edges. I was also surprised by the fact that depht of field seems pretty big, meaning that moving from an object to another one does not feel much need to adjust focous. As for chromatic aberration, I tried to check it but seems not to show.

Just checked weight (that's easy): it is 822 g, or exactly 29.0 oz.

So brocknroller you have some Pugliese blood, and a Pugliese nose! I have an uncle from there and he has a big nose too!

Last edited:
Hi,
sorry for my faulty language, the "protruding junction edge" I was referring to might be better described as the rim at the junction of what apparently are the two halves the rubber coating is made of, along the outer sides of the binocular: just a cosmetic thing.

The eyepieces have been modified, but the outer diameter seems more or less the same: the new cups are thicker, and probably more comfortable, but gained thickness towards the inside.

As for the prism edge cutoff, I don't know what to look for, so sorry I can't help, but the view seems to bo unobstructed.

Definitely not flat field, but edge view is still very sharp: if you adjust focus, the image seems to me almost as sharp as the center, just a bit duller and showing what seems to me some faint asthigmatism. Sharpness falloff seems to me very very slight, if any, over a large part of the field, and more noticeable only et the extreme edges. I was also surprised by the fact that depht of field seems pretty big, meaning that moving from an object to another one does not feel much need to adjust focous. As for chromatic aberration, I tried to check it but seems not to show.

Just checked weight (that's easy): it is 822 g, or exactly 29.0 oz.

So brocknroller you have some Pugliese blood, and a Pugliese nose! I have an uncle from there and he has a big nose too!

I don't know if I have a "Pugliese nose". Nothing showed up on Google images for that term. I think it's usually referred to as a "Roman nose". That is, it's not fat like a proboscis monkey or Jimmy Durante's nose or wide like actor Brock Peter's, but the bridge of my nose is high like Sam Elliott's. I often get told I look like him. When I do, I reply in a low, gravely voice: Dodge trucks... they're ram tough! :)

Wide eyecups like like the Swift 820 and the 8x32 SE pinch the sides of the bridge of my nose. In addition, the original 820 had a protruding cap from the focuser housing. The Minox BP BL porros have something similar in that the focuser protrudes into the space between the eyecups.

The new 820 doesn't have that problem, but from what you said about the diameter of eyecups, it sounds like it would still be uncomfortable for me to use. Too bad, other than the stiff focuser, it sounds and looks like a bin I would enjoy using.

Brock

I don't know if I have a "Pugliese nose".

Brock

I just used that terminology to refer to a character that you seem to share with a relative of mine from Puglia; actually, it must be something like a Greek nose. Southern Italy regions, like Puglia, are sometimes referred to as "magna Grecia", or "larger Greece".

binomania...

Thanks for the photo comparisons of the Swift Old 820ED and the new model.

...Bob
Kentucky

Hi, i thank you for the attention. I contacted Swift in the Netherlands to find out if it was possible to have a binocular in vision for a test. They have not yet responded. I hope to give to you some informations in the next few days. For now we are working, thanks to an Italian-American friend, to a Binomania Magazine in PDF format (english language)

Hi, i thank you for the attention. I contacted Swift in the Netherlands to find out if it was possible to have a binocular in vision for a test. They have not yet responded. I hope to give to you some informations in the next few days. For now we are working, thanks to an Italian-American friend, to a Binomania Magazine in PDF format (english language)

Ciao Piergiovanni,

(My ability to speak Italian doesn't extend much beyond Alfa, Ducati, Ferrari, Lamborghini, .....) ;)

Any news? :news:
Have you managed to use, or even better - review the "new" style (mechanical package) 8.5x44 820ED yet ???? :brains:
Are there any changes to the optics (eg. upgraded coatings etc. that you know of) ??
Many thanks for any info :scribe:

Arrivederci, Chosun :gh:

Ciao Piergiovanni,

(My ability to speak Italian doesn't extend much beyond Alfa, Ducati, Ferrari, Lamborghini, .....) ;)

Any news? :news:
Have you managed to use, or even better - review the "new" style (mechanical package) 8.5x44 820ED yet ???? :brains:
Are there any changes to the optics (eg. upgraded coatings etc. that you know of) ??
Many thanks for any info :scribe:

Arrivederci, Chosun :gh:

Hi Chosun, i've tried to find an exemplar of the new Audubon ED, but in Italy there are no importers and so, for, me it''s very difficult to write this review.. By the way I hope to find an exemplar during this spring. Best Regards and thanks for the attention!

I tried the Swift 820ED last week for 10 minutes. I was at the store to look at a Kowa YF 6x30 and the manager handed me the Swift to try out as well. It was the newer model and looked solidly built and nice to touch, but the rubber armor and finish looked cheap. The bins were comfortable to handle and felt light. It was easy to carry with one hand holding a barrel and and the surface was not slippery. The manager told me that the bridge mechanism felt like metal and not plastic. He's had considerable experience with binoculars and I believed him. The focus wheel was stiff but smooth without jerks. I heard slight plopping sounds from the grease when turning. The manager told me that the O rings for water proofing make it hard to move initially and with time the grease will settle down.

Optically they were stellar. Much better than the Pentax and Nikon Roof bins I tried in the same price range. Very bright and clear view with excellent contrast. I did not notice any CA and the image looked sharp with minor softening near the edges. The resolution was quite good.

The eye-cups twist out to one position only and stay put. The large oculars did not bother me and I don't wear glasses. The eye-cups were made of hard rubber and did not cause any discomfort when pressed against the face.

These are really nice bins, but like I mentioned before, the rubber armor looks cheap for the $500 they are listed. I wish Swift had put on a better finish. The two individual objective lens covers provided are a joke. With that kind of fit and finish it's hard to spend $500 on them.

Compared to the Swift 820ED the Kowa's finish is an improvement for it's price of $100. They are ruggedly built with a great finish. Optically the Swift is better, but the little Kowa shines as well. The 6x magnification surprisingly brings out a lot of detail. I now understand why many birders use a 7x bin. The depth of view from the Kowa was great for panoramic scenery and wildlife watching. The images are bright and the resolution and contrast are okay. The image softens quite a bit near the edges, but for the price the bins amazing.

I tried the Swift 820ED last week for 10 minutes. I was at the store to look at a Kowa YF 6x30 and the manager handed me the Swift to try out as well. It was the newer model and looked solidly built and nice to touch, but the rubber armor and finish looked cheap. The bins were comfortable to handle and felt light. It was easy to carry with one hand holding a barrel and and the surface was not slippery. The manager told me that the bridge mechanism felt like metal and not plastic. He's had considerable experience with binoculars and I believed him. The focus wheel was stiff but smooth without jerks. I heard slight plopping sounds from the grease when turning. The manager told me that the O rings for water proofing make it hard to move initially and with time the grease will settle down.

Optically they were stellar. Much better than the Pentax and Nikon Roof bins I tried in the same price range. Very bright and clear view with excellent contrast. I did not notice any CA and the image looked sharp with minor softening near the edges. The resolution was quite good.

The eye-cups twist out to one position only and stay put. The large oculars did not bother me and I don't wear glasses. The eye-cups were made of hard rubber and did not cause any discomfort when pressed against the face.

These are really nice bins, but like I mentioned before, the rubber armor looks cheap for the $500 they are listed. I wish Swift had put on a better finish. The two individual objective lens covers provided are a joke. With that kind of fit and finish it's hard to spend $500 on them.

Compared to the Swift 820ED the Kowa's finish is an improvement for it's price of $100. They are ruggedly built with a great finish. Optically the Swift is better, but the little Kowa shines as well. The 6x magnification surprisingly brings out a lot of detail. I now understand why many birders use a 7x bin. The depth of view from the Kowa was great for panoramic scenery and wildlife watching. The images are bright and the resolution and contrast are okay. The image softens quite a bit near the edges, but for the price the bins amazing.

Subzero -888 wrote: "It was the newer model and looked solidly built and nice to touch, but the rubber armor and finish looked cheap."

That's exactly how I would describe the original 820's armoring. At least the new ones don't have that yucky aquamarine color. It was more like "skin" than armoring, I could see every line and bump in the "skeleton" below the "skin".

The paint was also terrible. The black on the flexy focuser rack was matte black while the frame was gloss black, and I could see dust under the paint. At first, I didn't realize it was under the paint and tried to flick it off with my finger, and the paint peeled off! Ugh. This was on day one.

The exit pupils are "truncated" (as allbinos likes to say), my sample was worse on one side than the other.

The eyecups were the most horrible ones I've ever tried. Hard, wide, and very uncomfortable. I couldn't see the entire FOV, not close, even without glasses. They later replaced the eyecups (guess I wasn't the only one who didn't like them) with plastic rings. I bet those were comfy. :)

How are the eyecups? Are they wide? It depends on your facial features, as to comfort, but someone who bought a new 820 said that the eyecups were wide.

The body appears to be identical to the old B&L Discoverer (?) porros. I have a photo somewhere of that model....

The optics were good, on par in resolution with the EL, according to Stephen Ingraham, who wrote a review titled "Poor Man's EL?". Too bad he didn't mentioned about the wide, uncomfortable eyecups. I guess for his bulldog face, they felt okay.

Someday I hope to try one on, literally.

Thanks for those comments.

Hägar

The optics were good, on par in resolution with the EL, according to Stephen Ingraham, who wrote a review titled "Poor Man's EL?". Too bad he didn't mentioned about the wide, uncomfortable eyecups. I guess for his bulldog face, they felt okay.

In a brief personal test, I found that my HR/5 Audoubons seemed to beat 8x alpha bins on resolution. The 8.5x SV EL were the only ones to match them.

I can't say how much part the magnification played, but I'm still very pleased with my old Swifts. I just wish I'd picked up the ED version while it was still available.

I hear Swift is coming out w/700EDK model code name: Frankie. 700' FOV ED objectives & oculars w/Kyrptonite field flattener. No PC nor rolling ball and it's a porro II design w/100mm turrets. The left side barrel is 7x60 an the right subs as a 7-24 spotting scope. I think it comes w/built in carbon fiber unipod & GPS.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back