• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

?common crossbill, Corsica (1 Viewer)

marnixR

WYSIWYG
saw this bird on the pine trees near the Col de Vergio in central Corsica early last june, and suspect it could be a common crossbill - is my guess anywhere near the truth ?

Attachments

• Img_2202.jpg
    Img_2202.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Img_2203.jpg
    Img_2203.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 126
Loxia curvirostra corsicana

. . . which is one of the heavy-billed pine-feeding crossbills. Not as heavy-billed as Parrot Crossbill, but not far off.

What chance, if they ever find genetic markers able to elucidate a phylogeny for crossbills, it turns out to be a subspecies of Parrot, rather than Common???

. . . which is one of the heavy-billed pine-feeding crossbills. Not as heavy-billed as Parrot Crossbill, but not far off.

What chance, if they ever find genetic markers able to elucidate a phylogeny for crossbills, it turns out to be a subspecies of Parrot, rather than Common???

There's more chances that we have an endemic species here... :eek!:

There's more chances that we have an endemic species here... :eek!:

Well there are 2 options: either it is an endemic species or if not, forget about endemic Scottish Crossbill. Never understood why the insular mediterranean Crossbills did not get the same status as Scottish.

Well there are 2 options: either it is an endemic species or if not, forget about endemic Scottish Crossbill. Never understood why the insular mediterranean Crossbills did not get the same status as Scottish.

You're not on your own Tom, many UK Birders are expecting Scottish to be relegated from full species to sub-species at some point I think, even LGRE doesn't count it at the UK 400 club.

A

There is simple reason. If we remove Scottish as a species, UK will not have any endemic species anymore. A shame for the birder's country...

They tried with Scottish Grouse, it didn't work. Now, last chance is the Scottich Crossbill. Other potential endemics such Pied and Yellow-headed Wagtails migrate elsewhere, so not real endemics... The grouse is sedentary, the crossbill might migrate, but anyway, no one can identify it away from breeding grounds, no risk of discovering that it is not totally endemic, finally... 8-P

What did they try, I've never heard anyone call them 'Scottish' Grouse, they will be the same as the ones in Northern England?

Some earlier authors (such James Lee Peters) suggested Lagopus scotica (formerly scoticus) deserves species rank and is not subspecies of Lagopus lagopus. Is that the fact you never heard about?

The English name is not that important. We can find Scottish Ptarmigan, Scottish Grouse, Red Grouse and probably more synonymous... now all useless, as it seems the lump is solid enough!

Scotica (Scotica for Scotland... in case you didn't notice) does occur in Northern England of course. The name of a country or a region does't imply it is strictly endemic. Spanish Eagle does occur in Portugal and Morocco, Oenanthe hispanica neither isn't endemic to Spain.

Some earlier authors (such James Lee Peters) suggested Lagopus scotica (formerly scoticus) deserves species rank and is not subspecies of Lagopus lagopus. Is that the fact you never heard about?

Yes, never heard this, I've seen the scotticus applied but have never heard anyone call it Scottish Grouse or heard it suggested as an endemic, an endemic race maybe but that's all?

Yes, never heard this, I've seen the scotticus applied but have never heard anyone call it Scottish Grouse or heard it suggested as an endemic, an endemic race maybe but that's all?

http://www.arkive.org/red-grouse/lagopus-lagopus/

The red grouse Lagopus lagopus scoticus is the British race of the willow grouse (Lagopus l. lagopus), although it was once believed that the red grouse was a distinct species known as Lagopus scoticus, endemic to the British Isles.

As said earlier, there are other English names but this is not the point, right?

Oenanthe hispanica neither isn't endemic to Spain.

Oenanthe hispanica neither IS endemic to Spain.

Yes, but this case is different, as it refers to Hispania, the Roman name for the whole Iberian Peninsula, i.e. nowadays Portugal is included in Hispania; but this is just an aside comment ;)

I'm certain that if Lagopus (lagopus) scoticus was accepted as a full species, its official common name would be Red Grouse, not "Scottish Grouse". I don't think anyone in Britain calls it anything else.

(And I would have loved it to be Britain's national bird, especially with its connection to the history of conservation, freedom of movement and appreciation of the outdoors in Britain (e.g. the Kinder Trespass). But no, everyone loves the cute Christmas card robin...)

I don't think that the UK has been geographically isolated from the European mainland for long enough to have developed any endemism?

A

I'm certain that if Lagopus (lagopus) scoticus was accepted as a full species, its official common name would be Red Grouse, not "Scottish Grouse". I don't think anyone in Britain calls it anything else.

(And I would have loved it to be Britain's national bird, especially with its connection to the history of conservation, freedom of movement and appreciation of the outdoors in Britain (e.g. the Kinder Trespass). But no, everyone loves the cute Christmas card robin...)

English common name is an insignificant detail in scientific classification, right? And there are many "official" (by whom? ABA? IOC? BOU? AERC/TAC?) names that are not used by UK birders in the field.

UK is just too close to mainland Europe to avoid birds to cross, so their genes can be exchanged between UK and rest of Europe, that is preventing endemism.

Even ptarmigans/grouses can fly far!
http://pubs.aina.ucalgary.ca/arctic/Arctic20-2-77.pdf

Last edited:
Oenanthe hispanica neither IS endemic to Spain.

Yes, but this case is different, as it refers to Hispania, the Roman name for the whole Iberian Peninsula, i.e. nowadays Portugal is included in Hispania; but this is just an aside comment ;)

Sorry, I do some mistakes in English. Generally speaking, that's another point: scientific names are supposed to be stable, but a country can change his name, change the boundaries... like birds called "poensis" for Fernando Po... now Bioko / Equatorial Guinea. Even mistakes cannot be corrected. Numenius madagasacariensis has never been seen in Madagascar...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back