• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Species pronunciation (1 Viewer)

Yup

Sorry to sidetrack this thread but ... There is a perfectly good reason for 'chaylee' etc. Latin in sacred choral music is always pronounced in the manner of 'Church Latin', for which the basic rule is 'get as close to Italian as you can'.

As a music fan I actually appreciate the info. "Chaylee" always had a ring to it for me. Thx for the share. I agree with pshute though, the "Ch" part is silent.

I've always advocated that scientific names are all about communication, not language (per se).
I once had an interesting conversation with an Austrian friend while walking in a wood (I think) in the Czech Republic. We were discussing a group of moth with case bearing larvae. We Brits call them Scichiday whereas he called them Pesoochidi - we both knew we were talking about the Psychidae!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back