• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice needed on buying lens for Lumix G1 (1 Viewer)

Janet D

I have a Lumix G1 and want to buy a used 400mm lens to use with an adaptor. My current Pansonic 45-200mm lens doesn't get me the results I'd like.

My budget doesn't stretch to Cannon or Nikkon so I have been looking Sigma and Tamron lenses, both of which have mixed reviews.

Can anyone suggest what would be a good lens for me to buy? I have seen a Sigma 400mm f5.6 at a reasonable price. Is this f number suitable or should I go for f2. Would a zoom lens be better and will I have to use a tripod?

I am new to this so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Janet

Hi Janet,

Sigma do not do an f2 400mm lens and if they did, it would cost thousands. You might be able to find a reasonably priced Canon or Nikon manual focus 400mm lens on ebay or from a second hand dealer. Or, you could try the new Panasonic 100-300mm zoom at about £450. At least then you would have auto focus.

There is a big thread on here about using legacy lenses with the Panasonic G1.

Lens for G1

Janet

Have a serious look at the new Panasonic 100-300. Weighs only 620g, has autofocus and can be hand held. Check my post on the 100-300 mm thread.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back