• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grow Rosa Rugosa (1 Viewer)

Monahawk

If you are into gardening as I am and have a medium to a large sized garden, then try growing Rosa Rugosa [ Japanese Rose ]. These hardy spectacular plants are easy to grow, need little maintence, just the odd clip here and there and remove the odd suckers [ they do spread a bit ].

My main point about them is they have wonderful bulbous tomato like hips at this time of year which are attractive to birds especially Blackbirds. But lately I have noticed Greenfinches have taken a liking to them, so much so that they have abandoned my nut feeders to gorge themselves silly on the berries instead. Chaffinches too are begining to take note.

So if you are into wildlife gardening and don't have a specimen of one of these plants, go out and find yourself one or two or more of them. There are several varieties. In spring and early summer they produce really heady fragrant flowers which attract a variety of insects.

They also make a good hedging plant.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back