• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any suggestions on Monopod + Head for 500mm F/4 ? (1 Viewer)

sirikarnn

I have been researching for a good combination of monopod +/- head to use with Nikon 500mm F/4 +/- TC1.7 for bird photography. I like moving around and hike a little bit to photograph as I’m also a birder, so a tripod setup is just too inconvenient.

I found threads discussing this issue, but I still cannot make up my mind. However, I want to go for a Manfrotto aluminium monopod. Gitzo CF is out of the games, since it’s too pricey and I don’t believe it will make much difference in weight. These are all my choices:

1. Manfrotto 685B NeoTec + RRS MH-01
2. Manfrotto 680B + RRS MH-01
3. Manfrotto 680B + ball head (like Markins Q3)
4. Manfrotto 680B + no head (attaching directly with a QR clamp)

#1 choice seems very attractive because it’d be ideal to be able to adjust the height of the monopod instantly on the field especially when we tilt the lens up and down to track a bird (based on this http://naturephotography.fredhurteau.com/podtechnique.htm) and the RRS MH-01 should do the job. But it’s just too long when folded (29.3”). Will it pass the security check point when I travel?

#2 choice will get rid of the length issue and it’s cheaper ($59 vs. $169).

#3 choice: someone said good things about using a ball head on a monopod (http://www.nikonians.org/monopods/what_monopod_2.html). It costs more $$. Is it just unnecessary?

#4 choice also came to mind as someone like RRS also said “there's usually not much need for up/down swivel for with 400mm lenses and larger…” (http://reallyrightstuff.com/tripods/03.html). This way we can just put the QR clamp and plate on and that’s it.

What’s else? ….. Someone claimed Manfrotto 234 tilt head is an alternative, but I don’t want to take risk with that lens. Gimbel head is just too big for me on a monopod.

Anyone has any suggestions? I would really appreciate your input.

First, welcome to Bird Forum!

I'm not sure that adjusting the 685 "on the fly" would work out in practice, though I haven't used one.

IMO the RRS MH-01 is way over-engineered and complex for your intended purpose. Using a ballhead is a complete waste of money as well, though I've have a Q3 and it's a wonderful piece of kit for a camera or small spotting scope....on a tripod.

I have a Manfrotto 681B with a Manfrotto 3232 tilt head on it and a RRS screw-type Arca compatible clamp.

Unless you need the shorter retracted length, I think the 681 is a better choice. It's a bit taller, one less joint, and has a larger diameter bottom leg section as compared to the 680.

What is the "risk" you cite with a tilt head? If it's a single attachment point you can always drill and add another bolt to attach the clamp. You can also tether the foot of the lens to the monopod to ensure it can't fall to the ground in case of some catastrophic material failure (read: bolt snaps). I do this with my stuff as a safety. Learn to tie a hangman's slip knot. This of course applies to any head, plate, etc. that attaches with a single fastener.

Having said all the above, I rarely use my monopod as I SO MUCH prefer even a light tripod by comparison. Besides the stability issues, a monopod is not self standing and this gets old fast when afield for long. At least for me. I use a 400mm lens frequently and also digiscope with a Nikon ED82. I like to carry bins with me as well. This becomes a lot of monkey-motion with a monopod and digiscoping (naturally) is out of the question.

The only use I have these days for a monopod is at the racetrack or other sporting events where the footprint of a tripod may not be practical.

"a tripod setup is just too inconvenient". In what respect? I carry mine with the legs extended, lens/camera attached, over my shoulder. This allows me to set it down in a moment and, as mentioned above, is self standing. Granted, a suitable tripod for your large lens won't be especially light, you ARE carrying a very large lens and (I presume) camera. Overall weight, from a percentage basis, won't be hugely different. If I had your lens I'd use a medium/large Gitzo (or Benro) tripod and a gimbal head. You'll wind up there eventually I'll guess ;)

Last edited:
As far as monopods go I can whole heartedly recommend the Giottos monopods and are certainly worth a look before you decide.

Must agree that on a long walk I find it easier to carry the lens attached to the tripod and over my shoulder. I some times walk for a while with the lens carried by it's strap and the tripod hand held or over my shoulder seperately but before long it's on the tripod and ready to go.
The beauty, as I see it, of a tripod is that you can set it up and walk away, or just take a break from carrying it. With a monopod you can never let go.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back