• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK and Europe Android Bird Guide (1 Viewer)

Mad_Sunday

There is a nice FREEWARE, simple to use, but excellent bird guide.

I used to have it on a Windows Mobile device (it also runs on a Windows PC so you can try it out) and its available here.

http://www.aviasoft.org/pocketbirds.html

The developer now wishes to port it to Android, but she does not have an Android device (or the funds available to buy one) to develop it on.

She has also made a very interesting Nature Explorer app which covers Birds, Trees, Butterflies, Fungi etc. etc. That she hopes to also transfer eventually to Android.

Below is the link for contact and donations to help with an Android device purchase and app development, come on guys, donate a couple of quid, you know you want this as bad as me!

http://www.aviasoft.org/contactus.html

Cheers, Pete

Last edited:
You don't need an android device to program for the platform, the SDK has an emulator built in.

Thats true, but theres nothing like having an actual device to try it on, is there? ;-)

However, the developer has acquired a low end device now, and thats a great first step.

Fingers crossed things will advance fairly quickly from here.

Please invest in this, and spread the word.

Pete

The developer has released a beta of the Nature Explorer app for Android :king:

Its a bit buggy (because its a beta) but it works :)

Not just birds (only low res pics and photos at the mo', higher res and plumage pics to follow), this is the full Nature explorer with Butterflies, Trees, Fungi, Insects etc.

Download, test and report bugs, ideas etc. here.................

http://www.aviasoft.org/index.html

Pete

The developer has released a beta of the Nature Explorer app for Android :king:

Its a bit buggy (because its a beta) but it works :)

Not just birds (only low res pics and photos at the mo', higher res and plumage pics to follow), this is the full Nature explorer with Butterflies, Trees, Fungi, Insects etc.

Download, test and report bugs, ideas etc. here.................

http://www.aviasoft.org/index.html

Pete

I can't see it in the market place?

downloaded to pc, copied the folders across to the fone then used Astro to open the installer and now I've got the program open on the phone, it's good.
across top of page you've 5 choices, image, photo, map, song and Info. Switching from one to the other is instant, no lag.
good quality images and photos and info seems up to date. the song is great.

sorry, maps are good but too small to really be of use.
Will post more tomorrow when I've played some more with it
overall I'm liking this big style and would be prepared to buy the finished article

@carlj and Marcus

1 You need to download the package from the website to your PC and unpack it with 7zip or winzip etc..
2 you need to copy the Aviasoft folder AND the .apk file to your phones memory card.
3 find the .apk file with ESfile explorer (or whatever file program you have on your phone) and tap it.
4 the apk file will install the app to your phone, it will appear in your app list.
5 tap the app (butterfly) to open it.
6 Enjoy!

Last edited:
I can hardly believe this but there will be an update released tomorrow (all being well) that will fix several bugs AND also add the folowing topics from the Nature Explorer 2......

Weather, Rocks, Fossils and Gemstones

Check the links above for more info over the next few days.

Pete

I can honestly say that this app is the closest I've seen to the Collins e-guide I had on my (sadly now defunct) PDA. It's also the first one that I reckon I will actually use in the field since the PDA bit the dust.
It opens giving you a nice simple menu with 3 options,
Top one allows you to chose topic, ie birds, insects, flowers etc
Middle allows you to chose a group within your topic, ie divers, herons, ducks & geese etc
Bottom is the first item in the group chosen, click on this and you're in

Bugs.
It is a little unstable and doesn't like me making a call on the phone whilst it is running, tends to shut down.
The species list is a little out of date, some long standing splits aren't included, the obvious one for me yesterday was yellow-browed warbler. Once the software is through beta will the list be updated?

I can honestly say that this app is the closest I've seen to the Collins e-guide I had on my (sadly now defunct) PDA. It's also the first one that I reckon I will actually use in the field since the PDA bit the dust.
It opens giving you a nice simple menu with 3 options,
Top one allows you to chose topic, ie birds, insects, flowers etc
Middle allows you to chose a group within your topic, ie divers, herons, ducks & geese etc
Bottom is the first item in the group chosen, click on this and you're in

Bugs.
It is a little unstable and doesn't like me making a call on the phone whilst it is running, tends to shut down.
The species list is a little out of date, some long standing splits aren't included, the obvious one for me yesterday was yellow-browed warbler. Once the software is through beta will the list be updated?

Keith, looking at your avatar I see "opus editor", I suggest you contact the developer yourself and make some suggestions. Use the contact us option on the website. Your obvious expertise would be of enormous help, I would suggest, in furthering this project. From what I understand this will be fully customisable in the future (ie if you only want birds, or birds and butterflies that can be all that you have). The developer is not a "birder" and I'm nothing more than someone who likes birds and the natural world, who likes to know what I'm looking at. ;)

Imagine an app that knows exactly where you are on the planet and can provide a fieldguide for that location...........with gps and the kind of info you have to hand that must be more than a possibilty!

For someone who produces apps like this, I think any help, practicle and/or financial is the least she should expect.

The ball as they say is in your court,

regards, Pete

p.s. if you tap your phones menu button (usually the second from the left) you get a setup menu where you can choose basic or expert modes and common or latin names.

Last edited:
I'll have a look at the website and see about helping out with the taxonomical points.
As I said I'm well pleased with the beta version and if the species list is up to date I think it will be a nice little app to keep on the phone.
I've had a look the other lists, insects and trees etc, they are just as good as the birds one. I can certainly see myself using those when out as I'm hopeless with trees and flowers

Downloaded the new app, very good. Possibly even faster loading than before.
Still with a few species missing but I'm in touch with the developer and I will be supplying them with the latest WP list as soon as I've worked out exactly which are the missing species.

Downloaded the new app, very good. Possibly even faster loading than before.
Still with a few species missing but I'm in touch with the developer and I will be supplying them with the latest WP list as soon as I've worked out exactly which are the missing species.

The developer has also created a windows desktop editor that will allow us to create our own personnel database. This to me will be the making of this app! Wherever you are you can add/remove groups and species to create a guide to suit your needs.

I'm so pleased you are getting involved Keith, I can see a great app developing. After the Western Palearctic Birds I'm hoping all other areas can be covered, by perhaps having the present "topics" of birds/fungi/butterflies changed for Europe/USA/Africa/Asia/Australia etc. A mini Opus in your phone!

WOW, now doesn't that sound interesting! ;)

Pete

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back