• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Holland in August (1 Viewer)

rachk116

England
Hi all.
I am going to the Belgian Grand Prix at the end of August this year and was hoping that I could find out some information on birds of the area. We will have 1 night/day each in Amsterdam and Brugge at the beginning and end of the week but we will mostly be staying in Valkenburg, near Maastrict. We won't have much free time or a car but if there are any local sites to these areas I would be grateful for any advice. We may have 1 free day whilst staying in Valkenburg so any suggestions for that area in particular would be brilliant.
Thanks in advance.
Rachel

I like the area, but more because of its plants & butterflies than its birds.
End of August is a bit tricky because summer breeders (like Melodious Warbler) have left. The star attraction must be Eagle Owl, which should be visible (not easy, check the photos!) in the St-Pietersberg quarry just south of Maastricht (easily reached by public transport). (Other sites in the area, even if publicised, do not offer good viewing opportunities). Black Redstart is quite common in the area. Serin occurs in Valkenburg itself as well as in the southern part of Maastricht which you'd have to cross on the way to the Eagle Owl.

Hi Rachel,

The area around Valkenburg is the only bit of the country that has some terrain and a more central European feel. Keep a look out for soem of the typical species that Xenospiza has already mentioned. To be fair though, if you just hop south across the border the landscape and birdlife get better. Hautes Fagnes NP (just beyond Eupen) is remniscent of the UK/Scandinavian moors and forests.
My recommendation if you want something managable and a bit different is the Brunsummerheide. It's 20 km northeast of Valkenburg on the German border and surrounded by the urban area of Brunssum-Heerlen-Landgraaf, and looks a bit like the UK's New Forest. Species include all woodpeckers (including Black, Little and Middle Spotted), Wood Warbler, Nightjar, Honey-Buzzard, Crested Tit, Wood Lark, etc.
There's a similar area in Belgium to the northwest called Hoge Kempen NP. Another option is to check out is the river Maas between Echt and Roermond (to the north) - there's loads of wetlands with associated waterfowl, warblers etc.

Hope this helps and have a goods trip!

N

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back