• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

December Northeast (1 Viewer)

DrRich

I am driving from Newcastle to Edinburgh on December 12th (visiting from the US). I was hoping to spend the non-driving time birding, and was wondering where to go:

UK birds I haven't seen include: the eiders, velvet scoter, whooper swan, storm petrel, the grouses, Arctic Loon, red-necked grebe, but 'things that are hard to see' and 'things that are mainly in the north'.

Any suggestions of local blogs to trawl would be great.

Thanks a lot,

Richard

Hi Richard

Have a look at Druridge Pools, From the Notebook, the sightings page of the Northumberland and Tyneside Bird Club and my own blog ;)

Try Stag Rocks, just north of Bamburgh Castle - turn right along The Wynding just after the cricket pitch and park before you reach the small white lighthouse. Common Eider, lots of Common Scoter (with a chance of Velvet), Long-tailed Duck, Slavonian Grebe, Purple Sandpiper, occasional Red-necked Grebe and Arctic Loon. Check the blogs I've listed for sightings of Whooper Swan and Red-necked Grebe.

cheers
martin

I am driving from Newcastle to Edinburgh on December 12th (visiting from the US). I was hoping to spend the non-driving time birding, and was wondering where to go:

UK birds I haven't seen include: the eiders, velvet scoter, whooper swan, storm petrel, the grouses, Arctic Loon, red-necked grebe, but 'things that are hard to see' and 'things that are mainly in the north'.

Any suggestions of local blogs to trawl would be great.

Thanks a lot,

Richard

Excited for tomorrow. Is anywhere in the area a particularly good bet for Siskins?

Richard

Anywhere with a feeding station and pine would be good. There's a feeding station at Druridge Bay Country Park just off the main car park, adjacent to the visitor's building here:
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=druridge+bay+CP&ie=UTF-8&ei=pgWrUpKrLOi57Ab8vQE&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg

Siskin might be seen here.

You can also scan the sea not far from here for divers although Stag Rocks
further up the coast is usually the best for sea birds + waders like Purple Sandpiper too.
Cheers, Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back