• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ipod external speakers (1 Viewer)

LCB48

I recently heard of someone using a portable external speaker on their ipod, with bird songs loaded, to call birds in. Do any of you know what type of speaker is used for this? I did some web searches and the reviews on the speakers I found were not good.

Thanks for your help, --Linda

When using external speaker on my ipod I use the Intempo IDS-01 speakers and they seem to be alright. I haven't tried attracting birds however.

My wife uses Logic3 i-station external speakers for her ipod. They are very good and can be powered by batteries or mains electric. Reasonably small and portable too, but probably not very rugged.

I started with Creative Travelsound speakers but they distort quite badly at max volume. Now using Altec Lansing inMotion (iM4) with my iRiver H340 loaded with the Andreas Schulze collection of 17 CD's. These speakers take 4 AA batteries and are as good as you can get for portable non-mains units. They will work with any HD or MP3 player with a line-out connection. I get a 90% success rate for calling-in birds.

Hands down the best Speakers I've seen and used for this exact purpose are some speakers manufactured by LG. They are the MSP-101, MSP-200, or "portable stereo speakers" they fold up and connect to an iPod or cell phone with a 3' long cable. They are Very Loud if need be, the volume can be controlled via the iPod or on the new model (MSP-200) also on the speakers. They have an internal re-chargable battery with on off switch, LED charge indicators etc. The great part about them is they are so small, in a folding design they are about the same size as a small flip cellular phone. Really really awesome speakers, not great for bass response obviously, but perfect for bird song/calls.

Search for them at Cellular phone stores such as Verizon Wireless. I got mine on sale for 20 dollars but they retail for about 50 u.s. dollars. Worth the price tho, perfect field speakers.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back