• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P5000 Review (1 Viewer)

aomcm

Those considering the Nikon P5000 might be interested in the dtailed review just posted at dpreview.com. I have not read the entire review, but they really had a problem with slow focusing times. This would seem to be an issue for digiscopers as well. Anyone who owns the camera care to comment?

Mike

I'm using it for digiscoping. The review is pretty comprehensive on dpreivew and nicely sums up the pros and cons. Not sure I'd describe it as 'really had a problem with slow focus times' - they point out that it isn't much good for action photos, but for digiscoping that isn't usually an issue as the technique lends itself static rather than moving subjects.

The focus isn't exactly speedy, but having upgraded from the CP4500 it's a lot quicker and more accurate. Exposure is a lot better as well. With the CP4500 I had to check every shot and adjust and readjust focus and exposure but with the P5000 you just need to check focus with the eyepeice and then fit the camera - if you half depress the shutter then focus and exposure are usually spot on. Really the 'slower than some modern cameras' auto focus isn't a problem for me.

Image quality is better too.

Mostly it's been dull when I've used the camera so the LCD viewing hasn't been a problem but I can see how it may be a problem on a bright day. I haven't explored LCD viewers/magnifiers for it yet.

With having a fixed body I find the scope can be at a lower height using an angled scope - perfect angle for viewing the LCD - assuming it can be seen okay.

Overall I'm quite impressed with it for digiscoping both for operation and quality of image.

I just need some decent weather to give it a proper work out.

I agree with IanF.
The camera is not very fast, but definitely is not a "crawler" as one can understand from Dpreview report. The closed loop focusing system of Nikon which is probably installed in the camera, slows down a bit the focusing speed, but assures a high percentage of perfectly focused images.
One should ask himself what's more important - focus speed or accurate focus?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back