• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frog spawn under the tree in October. (UK) (1 Viewer)

For several years in the spring I have found lumps of frog spawn on the drive, under an oak tree. I came to the conclusion a bird was catching frogs in the pond at the rear and perching in the tree whilst eating the frog.

But, a few says ago I found the same again. Frog spawn in October?

Also, as the second image shows, I think a frog was eaten.

So. any suggestions as to which bird (assuming my theory is correct)?

I have never seen the "culprit" but speculate it is a heron.
But, we live near the sea, could it be a seagull or something else?

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

Attachments

• Frog spawn 1-1.jpg
    Frog spawn 1-1.jpg
    790 KB · Views: 37
  • Frog spawn 2-1.jpg
    Frog spawn 2-1.jpg
    989.4 KB · Views: 27
Herons swallow frogs whole so not that. A corvid or buzzard maybe, assuming it's a bird, or a mammal.

The spawn develops quite early in the female frogs, ready to be laid in the spring at the normal time, so I don't think that aspect is unusual.

Thanks for the responses.
I've lived in this area all my life and never seen it before. But the climate is changing.

I doubt if it's a mammal. More likely a corvid or buzzard. Lots of both locally. Magpies are quite active.

How about a seagull?

Thanks for the responses.
I've lived in this area all my life and never seen it before. But the climate is changing.

I doubt if it's a mammal. More likely a corvid or buzzard. Lots of both locally. Magpies are quite active.

How about a seagull?

Could be anything that preys on small amphibians, but is impartial to frog's legs. Cat, fox, etc. I think a heron or large gull would swallow it whole as mentioned.
But at least the "alien jelly" is not something sinister.

I think magpie is the most likely candidate.
Buzzards fly over but I have never seen one land near the house.
When I was a lad hardly ever saw a magpie. Now lots around.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back