• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Golden Afternoon. (1 Viewer)

Ruth Daniel

A Golden Afternoon.

Reports of a Bittern at our local nature reserve had us quit the gardening and dashing off in search of this reclusive rare visitor to our neck of the woods.

The afternoon was one of those perfect autumnal ones with warm sunshine turning ripening berries even deeper colours along with the foliage of the trees and Dragonflies were everywhere sunning themselves on the warm wooded fence posts while late Red Admiral butterflies flitted colourfully amongst the softening Blackberries.

We settled in the hide overlooking the expanse of reed beds hoping for the slightest glimpse or maybe even a flight of the Bittern. Lapwings were present in huge numbers their iridescent green plumage matching the newly moulted eye patches of the tiny male Teals. Shovellers were also beginning to appear in breeding plumage and along with Gadwall,Wigeon and Shelduck look more like their real selves and a lot easier to ID!

A Green Woodpecker's laugh echoed away in the distance it's familiar voice travelling across the water with ease as Jays flew,beaks full of acorns over the blue reflective flash.

A Sparrowhawk had the Plovers take to the air and on alighting again we picked out at least a dozen Golden Plovers amongst the Greens. It's always a treat to see Golden Plovers for me and they were made to look literally gold as the sunshine reflected from their plumage brilliantly.Snipe were also hiding on the edge of a sandy beach and we counted 4 wonderfully camouflaged amongst the back ground of the reeds.

The normally tiny run off stream thundered through the sluice gates with such turmoil that a rainbow could be seen in the mist above the brown churned water.Further down stream 2 Pied Wagtails could be seen as well as a flock of tits moving through the overhanging bushes.

We never did get to see the Bittern but after the dreadful weather of the day and night before were just glad to have been out in some warm late autumnal sunshine.......and there's always the next time for our ever evasive friend!;)

What a beautiful picture you paint Ruth. Shame about the Bittern. I've only ever heard one myself. Thanks for sharing.

Pat

Shame you missed out on the Bittern, Ruth, but it sounds like an idyllic afternoon, and weren't you lucky with the weather? Please send some warm sunshine (or even dry weather) down this way!

Sad you never got to see the Bittern, Ruth, but you still had a very happy afternoons birding. I enjoyed reading your report.

An absolute joy to read Ruth, your observations are so beautifully written and truly captures a wonderful day out.
Shame about the Bittern but a good excuse to re-visit.
Thanks for brightening a grey day Ruth.

I thought Bitterns were easy to see in your neck of the woods, Ruth!;) I am sure it won't be long before you get good views! Your account is as always a joy to read...Bittern or no Bittern!!!

Thanks for sharing your delightful afternoon....I could picture it very vividly with your special way of recalling magic moments!:t:

I thought Bitterns were easy to see in your neck of the woods, Ruth!;)

lol,well I asked for that after telling everyone to come north for a Bittern didn't I?:-O
Hopefully we'll get another chance later in the year as we quite often get them at another nearby reserve over winter......don't worry you'll hear all about it if we do!!;)

lol,well I asked for that after telling everyone to come north for a Bittern didn't I?:-O
Hopefully we'll get another chance later in the year as we quite often get them at another nearby reserve over winter......don't worry you'll hear all about it if we do!!;)

Now, why doesn't that surprise me?!!!!!;)

Sorry, Ruth, seem to have missed this thread until now. Glad that you had a good day, your description was excellent.

I missed this too Ruth. Very nice report.

Bitterns were put on this earth to tease I think. You may remember I mentioned one on one of our local pools recently which I amd many others did not see although several birders have. There was a guy up there with his camera who had been there for several days (I assume he went home to sleep lol) and I wonder if he ever managed a photograph!

I forgot to mention that 2 Bitterns were at the Moors Pools, Upton Warren yesterday. I have decided that the Bittern is to me a bogey bird along with Cetti's Warbler!!! We did not hang around at the Moors yesterday in the hope of seeing either bird but went on to the Flashes and were entertained with the Peregrine eyeing the Lapwings!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back