• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bullfinch (1 Viewer)

Pyxel

How is the population of the Eurasian bullfinch in Britain doing now? I know it has been in severe decline for many years but does anyone know if this is continuing or has the decline slowed down at all? I've seen and heard a few bullies recently which I suppose is a good sign. They are my favourite birds so it would be nice to see more about.

Also, does anyone know any good places in Cumbria, especially near Carlisle, where bullfinches can be found?

How is the population of the Eurasian bullfinch in Britain doing now? I know it has been in severe decline for many years but does anyone know if this is continuing or has the decline slowed down at all?
Hi Pyxel,

I've got records of my local patch going back over 14 years. This bar chart shows the probability of me seeing a bullfinch.
View attachment 123332 I'm afraid I see no sign of much slowing down yet.|:(|

Best wishes

Last edited:
Blue tits apart, they're actually probably just about the most reliable daily visitors in our garden. When we moved in about four years ago, we didn't see any, but after a year or so, one or two showed up from time to time and then every year since then there have been a few more. This afternoon I counted seven (4M/3F) bobbing around the feeders at one point and there usually one or two in the garden most times I look out the window.

Last edited:
How is the population of the Eurasian bullfinch in Britain doing now?

IIRC BTO data show a pretty savage decline in recent decades.

However some signs from 2007 BTO Nest Record Scheme that they had a relatively good year. Mind - this might just be a blip.

Certainly in our area there appear to be far more than any winter since I moved to my current location in 1986.

Mike.

How is the population of the Eurasian bullfinch in Britain doing now? I know it has been in severe decline for many years but does anyone know if this is continuing or has the decline slowed down at all? I've seen and heard a few bullies recently which I suppose is a good sign. They are my favourite birds so it would be nice to see more about.

Also, does anyone know any good places in Cumbria, especially near Carlisle, where bullfinches can be found?

BTO/JNCC/RSPB BBS Survey reveals a 28% decline between 1994 & 2006. Full results here: http://www.bto.org/bbs/

Hi all, i seem to see them approx every 2 weeks where i live in Alloa. Saw two males yesterday picking over the top of a Japanese Cherry tree so im keeping my eyes peeled to find out if theyre going to breed around here.

Stephen

I used to live near you, in the Carlisle area and saw bullfinches every now and then, but not on a regular basis and with no real pattern. I now live in Fort William and see them almost every time I go for a walk.

Thanks for the replies. I've just been for a walk near the river where my dad seen a cock bullfinch and possibly a hen a few weeks ago and I heard what sounded like 2 bullies calling in the trees although I never seen them. I've heard them before in the same bit but never seen them so I'm going to take some feed to this area tomorrow as they seem to be living there.

What type of food is best for attracting them? I think I read that they are more interested in sunflower seeds than other seeds and fat balls etc. I don't feed birds in my garden but I do down the allotment we have - there's loads of blue tits, great tits, a robin, and a few goldfinches, chaffinches and a flock of siskins the other week and it would be great to get some bullfinches feeding there as well and helping them out.

What trees, bushes etc do they prefer to nest in as well? Thanks again and post any pictures of bullfinches you have as well. The only ones I have are ones of the bullies I used to keep so that's no good. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back