• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

... and I saw a Grebe and...and...and... a Seal?? (1 Viewer)

Mabel

Dance the ghost with me
Running on a high here and no, it's NOT the first coffee of the morning. People must think I'm nuts here in work because I am all over the place I'm so hyper! Typical bus ride into work takes me past Sutton, which is an extension of the estuary on my local patch. I often go there during winter because the walkway brings you right beside the sea, where there are waders and ducks and such. Today however, I saw a Grey Seal. Now, this is and isn't unusual. It isn't in the sense that there are colonies in the area. However I have never, ever seen one so close to the shore in this part. The bus route is quite industrial, so it was a bit unusual seeing the Seal so close to a main road and houses. That woke me up a bit from a normally groggy travel! The Seal itself was huge, and didn't seem too bothered by the traffic.

Then, I saw a bird rolling over in the water, preening. I notived it was brown and had a white belly. I initially thought it was some sort of duck, but then I saw the head. It was without a shadow of a doubt, a Great Crested Grebe! I have never ever seen one of these in breeding plumage, as they do not breed in my area as far as I know. They are not rare in Ireland, but breed mostly in the midlands and south. I have seen them in winter, as they disperse to the estauries, so I was doubly surprised to see a species which I normally associate breeding in freshwater in this environment.

Best morning ever!

Pointers

Am looking for a good pointer to use while in the field,afriend of mine suggested the Green lesser pointer.Does any one has experience in using them in forests?I welcom suggestions on the best pointers.

Nicky!

Hi Mabel,

G-C-Grebes do start post-breeding dispersal July-August to moulting areas but would agree that these are usually inland waters. There is also the post-moult dispersal later which is often to seawater; I can remember seeing quite large numbers in Belfast Harbour, off the N shore, during winter visits.

I have also seen pre-breeding season birds in Studland Bay (just West of Poole Harbour) which is much more 'open', and a few wintering birds off Bournemouth West Cliifs.

All the same, that one of yours sounds like the wrong place for this time of year. Keep a look-out.

Bill

Well done Mabel! It's really good to see something different and I'm pleased for you. It's good to get the chance to see their under parts at such times too.

Good luck with more like it Mabel.

Sue.

Am looking for a good pointer to use while in the field,afriend of mine suggested the Green lesser pointer.Does any one has experience in using them in forests?I welcom suggestions on the best pointers.

Nicky!

Hi Nicky.

Do you mean a Green Laser Pointer?? I've no experience of them at all and it doesn't appear that anyone else has so far, but if you type the name into google you'll find a lot of references to them.

Good luck,

Sue.

Thanks folks!

Bill, I don't know much about Grebes to be honest, but I do know that they end up in the estuaries in my area in winter. I've never seen one in breeding plumage, or even moulting, so that's what drew my attention. Maybe it just got a bit lost, it was very active and seemed healthy enough (in the thirty seconds I saw it). I'll definitely keep an eye out.

Hi Mabel

What two great sightings for you. It must have made your day

I am so pleased for you - well done and thank you for sharing.

Kathy
x

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back