• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hooves & Feathers (1 Viewer)

NIK III

I had a trip to Leighton Moss on Friday when the west coast was bathed in sunshine. It's a one and three quarter hour run for me but the journey is part of the pleasure. It's scenic almost all the way, up past Settle, Kirkby Lonsdale and down the M6. Crags, limestone outcrops and green fields make a nice change from the housing estate where I live. It wasn't a birding trip. I was going to try for some pics of the Red Deer. I particularly like the Morcambe Bay hides so called there first. Oh dear (no pun intended) it was high tide. Some of the birds were on tip toe as the islands covered over. They all seemed a long way off but I could make out Redshank, Greenshank & Black-tailed Godwit. A Curlew Sandpiper kept appearing out of some reeds. Teal and Wigeon were on the islands. A large group of Lapwing got up flashing white and dark green in the sunshine, and a flock of Greylag flew over making their honking noises.

Jackson hide is best for Deer. They had just cut the reeds near the hide and it all looked a bit bald. They were still cutting the reeds at Griesdale, the next door hide and making plenty of noise whilst doing it. Apart from the odd Moorhen, Coot and a Heron, all the birds had retreated to the far end of the lagoon. I'd not got my scope but could easily make out 8 Little Egrets. Their numbers seem to be steadily increasing here. I sat for a while and could hear a stag bellowing, not far away but not visible. After a while two hinds and a calf appeared out of the reeds. They had a good feed on reeds and grass, and seemed aware but unconcerned of the attention they were getting from the hide. The calf may have been the same one I saw here in July before it was weaned (pic5), but had grown a bit since then. The male kept bellowing. Whatever he was saying the hinds and calf completely ignored him and settled down for some R&R. The stag never appeared.

10 pics

Attachments

• D00368 (Medium).JPG
    D00368 (Medium).JPG
    72 KB · Views: 19
  • D00370 (Custom).JPG
    D00370 (Custom).JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 21
  • D00369 (Medium).JPG
    D00369 (Medium).JPG
    80 KB · Views: 21
  • D00367 (Medium).JPG
    D00367 (Medium).JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 19
  • D00241 (Medium).JPG
    D00241 (Medium).JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 19
a few more pics

Attachments

• D00371 (Medium).JPG
    D00371 (Medium).JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 15
  • D00372 (Medium).JPG
    D00372 (Medium).JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 16
  • D00373 (Custom) (Medium).JPG
    D00373 (Custom) (Medium).JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 17
  • D00374 (Custom).JPG
    D00374 (Custom).JPG
    88 KB · Views: 19
  • D00375 (Medium).JPG
    D00375 (Medium).JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 17
Superb collection of photos, Nigel. Sounds like a really good visit - thanks for sharing it with us.

What a cracking day you had Roy. The pics, particularly of the Deer, are beautiful. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Baz.

Hi Roy,

Thanks for that as I almost feel as thought I witnessed it all myself. Some really beautiful photos, lovely ones of the Waders and stunning ones of the Deer. That little one is a real beauty. No visits to the New Forest to see any this year ~ too darned wet! Glad you heard him bellowing, I love to hear that, such an evocative sound and so very powerful.

Thank you Roy, it was blissful ....glad you enjoyed it too!

Sue.

Super pics from a super spot Roy!:t:
We were at LM the week before last and saw (probably) the same Curlew Sand as well as Spotted Redshank and Merlin to name a few! A great place isn't it? but yes you do need to check the tide tables! lol!
Thanks for posting the Deer pics as we weren't lucky enough to see them on this occasion.

Lovely photo's, I particularly like the deer ones. Shame you didn't get a pic of Dad though. Next time perhaps.

Hi Roy

What a lovely selection of pictures of the birds and the deer. It feels although - I am standing in the picture with the birds and the deer. :-O

I love the young deer - they always like to hide in the long grass for their own protection - so sweet!

Thank you for sharing with us :-O

Kathy
x

Thanks a lot Kits, Baz, Sue, Pie, Ruth, Val, Brian & Kathy for all the kind comments.

Kits: Nigel will be pleased you are still thinking about him ;).
Sue: Nice to hear from you. Hope you are feeling a lot better now. Too true about the weather, I've been out much less than normal too.
Ruth: Yes, it's one of my favourite spots. Not been as often as I would have liked this year.

First thing tomorrow I'm leaving on another trip to the Borders. Fingers crossed for some descent weather for all!

A very nice drive through the countryside and the photo;s are just so great to make your day even better, just brilliant
Thanks for taking the time to show us.

First thing tomorrow I'm leaving on another trip to the Borders. Fingers crossed for some descent weather for all!

Hi Roy

I hope that you have/are having a great time in the Borders today.

Let the sun shine on for you. o:)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back