• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

battle between.... (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
I was out birding this morning with just my camera and scope....near a delta in the state of Washington...

As I was heading home Iheard a bunch of splashing near this boat launching pad. It turned out to be three river otters having their fill of fish. Funny
though, they would have their fish in their mouth, come up to the cement landing area and perhaps eat it, perhaps bite it and many times leave it and return for more fish. In the meantime this Blue Heron figured out that this was a spot for free fish so the heron would creep over and steal the fish as the otters were in the water. At the same time the Heron kept chasing away a great egret who was also trying to get free fish. So the battle continued between the egret, otters and the heron.

And of all things....I didn't have my camera with me to take beautiful shots in
the morning sun!

... and many times leave it and return for more fish...

And of all things....I didn't have my camera with me to take beautiful shots in
the morning sun!

That is very strange behavior - can't imagine why they didn't just eat it directly! Were they going to take it to young kits (pups?)?

A shame not to have a photo, but I'm sure you won't forget the scene! Thanks for sharing it with us o:)

The irony of it all was that these otters would dive in the water and come out with a fish in less then 10 seconds...while I know I have seen fishermen there all day and never bring in a fish. Mother nature at work...otters are fishermen, humans are not.

Do otters have an eye lid to see under water? As they have an on land life as well, it would seem they need dual vision. Seals may not.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back