• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a reliable source for Windows XP? (1 Viewer)

The copy of XP pictured is the OEM version (which you should only be able to buy in conjunction with a new Motherboard or Hard disk!)
While it's not the upgrade version, you should be able to install it over ME (though you wouldn't be able to uninstall it if you don't like it!!)
This version also comes with the "Product Activation" which may cause problems if you are in the habit of updating your PC regularly

Good price though, if your not worried about the possible breach of the licence?

See here for info on the activation:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

Last edited:
On a second look, the pictured copy doesn't state "Service Pack 1" on the CD envelope, so it might not have the activation built in.

Andrew said:
I found this on Google as a sponsored link and wanted to see if anyone has dealt with this company?

http://trials.actinic.com/trials/trial6919/Operating_systems.html

If so were they genuine and prompt?

Seems like a cracking deal. Would I be able to upgrade from Windows ME or is it for new computers only?
Ive bought several copies of WinXP (and much else) from A2Z Computers in Loughborough. I can recommend them and I think their prices are at least as low as the one you quote.

The software is bona fide and comes with an activation code, so all will be well for future free updates (which are automatic and online).

There's no harm in buying OEM software. The copy of XP that I have here at work is OEM, albeit bought with all the hardware for the computer it's installed on. The only difference is that you don't get the manual and it doesn't come in a fancy box. You get a product licence key and you do still have to activate it and you still get the updates. The current price for the OEM versions at my supplier is £86 +VAT for the Pro version and £50 +VAT for the Home version.

I don't think Product Activation is a big problem if you make changes to your computer. It's merely an inconvienience - I have made changes to my computer at home and re-activating is no problem at all. Just a quick phone call.

Having said that, I wouldn't touch this company with a barge pole. The web address (referencing Actinic) is probably ripped off from the official Actinic company, who produce e-commerce software.

Last edited:
scampo said:
Ive bought several copies of WinXP (and much else) from A2Z Computers in Loughborough. I can recommend them and I think their prices are at least as low as the one you quote.

The software is bona fide and comes with an activation code, so all will be well for future free updates (which are automatic and online).
Have you got a link to A2Z Computers for me to look at if you have it with you, please?

Andrew said:
Found it through Google.
I thought you would. You'll find them okay - like many computer wholesalers, they could be quicker but their prices are as low as they come usually and they've been around a good few years now. I can certainly vouch for them as a good supplier.

Hi Andrew, I bought XPPro OEM same as the pic on e-bay a few weeks ago and it cost best part of £100 inc postage etc. It has sp1 and the activation is no problem I would phone anyone first to find out if it is an upgrade, does it inc. vat etc.

I am on the brink of getting Windows XP but want to ask about the first upgrade after installation. I am worried it will take forever as I do not have broadband. It has been suggested the official Windows XP magazine's cover disk has all the upgrades on it and would be quicker. Is this correct?

Andrew said:
I found this on Google as a sponsored link and wanted to see if anyone has dealt with this company?

http://trials.actinic.com/trials/trial6919/Operating_systems.html

If so were they genuine and prompt?

Seems like a cracking deal. Would I be able to upgrade from Windows ME or is it for new computers only?

A colleague bought from an online shop and was promptly ripped off. The shop was bogus. I receive numerous spam adverts for cheap software. I am told that these are from bogus shops whose aim is to get your credit card details and suck out money from your account. So IMO only buy from a shop that you know to be genuine.

Leif

Hi Andrew, what you are talking about is "critical security updates" and I was under the impression that MSN never let anyone else distribute them. The MSN website should be able to check your system and then install these updates for you, but the downside is the time if you are on a modem!

Lorne,

I meant the OFFICIAL Windows XP magazine from Microsoft. Looks like I might be in for a long download session.

Leif,
That's how I feel. Safest buying from a shop. I know I have it in my hand when I hand over the cash in a reputed place like PC World.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back