• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Red-headed Woodpecker Question - Territory (1 Viewer)

tim.birdboy

I got such a good answer on my last question, I thought I'd try my luck and see if anyone can answer this one...

...I know that Red-headed Woodpeckers are monogamous, and are highly territorial of their nesting and wintering territory. So, my question is, what is the average size of a Red-headed Woodpecker's breeding territory, and what is the average size of its winter territory?

Hopefully that makes sense! Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Scratch the winter territory, I found an entire article on it.

Last edited:
Ah, one of my favorite woodies which I only get to see during the breeding season as they make full use of the suet feeders to feed their young. Here is a map from cornell showing their breeding and winter range:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Red-headed_Woodpecker_dtl.html

What has surprised me this year is that both parents seem to leave the nest to acquire food as I will see two of them feeding from the same block of suet.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back