• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UAE Dubai Sunbird - no picture (1 Viewer)

Wilts_Birder

Hi all -

I am in Dubai with no field guide. I was at Safa Park this morning and saw an unusual sunbird.

It was with Purple Sunbirds, which were in winter / juv plumage. It was considerably smaller, with rusty orange / black very varied plumage - to be honest the colouring reminded me of a Varied Thrush. Unfortunately I couldn't get a very clear look at it. I have a picture, but suspect it is useless - and no cable to upload it yet.

Any thoughts ?

Wilts_Birder

Hi Rockfowl -

Thanks for your reply.

The mystery sunbird was mixed in with easily identifiable Purple Sunbirds, in drab winter plumage - olive green and yellow.

It stood out because of its even smaller size, and rust orange/ black markings. It did look pretty scruffy, so I can only assume moult.

My question is - does anyone know of an orange/black sunbird that could be found in UAE ?

Wilts_Birder.

Hi Rockfowl -

Thanks for your reply.

The mystery sunbird was mixed in with easily identifiable Purple Sunbirds, in drab winter plumage - olive green and yellow.

It stood out because of its even smaller size, and rust orange/ black markings. It did look pretty scruffy, so I can only assume moult.

My question is - does anyone know of an orange/black sunbird that could be found in UAE ?

Wilts_Birder.

Basically no, which Is why I hinted about the size in the first place. 10cm is very small and Purple is the smallest sunbird in the region. Perhaps the only black/orange on a worn bird would be a Shining Sunbird which is 13cm and I'm pretty sure doesn't occur :smoke:

UAE Mystery Sunbird - now with added pictures...

OK. I uploaded the pictures.

You're going to have use some faith and some imagination. The sunbird was mixed in with a bunch of Purple Sunbirds in winter plumage. It was significantly smaller. To the best of my knowledge, it was NOT a Purple Sunbird.

It did have sunbird characteristics - long curved bill, similar (although less frenetic) feeding activity. It has noticeably rusty colouring on it - colouring similar to a Varied Thrush, although less dark.

The pictures are SO BAD, you are REALLY going to have to search for the bird !!

This one is going to bug me forever - any thoughts ?

Attachments

• DSCN2991.jpg
    DSCN2991.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN2992.jpg
    DSCN2992.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN2993.jpg
    DSCN2993.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN2994.jpg
    DSCN2994.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 59
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back