• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Edward Mordor Park, West Central, Florida (1 Viewer)

rpharvey

Followed an eBird Rare Bird Alert looking for a Snail Kite (was lucky enough to get a sighting and photo) and while there saw these guys that I could use a hand with.

The first two are the same individual.

Thanks for any assistance possible.

Attachments

• em1.jpg
    em1.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 94
  • em2.jpg
    em2.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 92
  • em3.jpg
    em3.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 144
  • em4.jpg
    em4.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 128
  • em5.jpg
    em5.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 129
#1/2 Palm Warbler
#3 Grebe of some sort, I think Pied-billed
#4 Probably Palm Warbler again.
#5 Yellow-rumped Warbler.

One warbler to rule them all,
One warbler to find them,
One warbler to bring them all,
And in the mist-nets bind them...

Oh Bummer... I was enjoying the puns on the Park name until I checked and saw I had gotten it wrong. Ed Medard Pk is no where near as fun.

Here's a couple of shots of what I feel is the Snail Kite that was the point of my outing. Snail Kites (4) have steadily been seen in this spot for over a week now.

There were hundreds of these empty snail shells all over the area.

Can someone confirm the Snail Kite ID. The incredibly long thin talons is what makes me say snail kite.

Attachments

• SK1.jpg
    SK1.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 89
  • SK2.jpg
    SK2.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 93
  • SK3.jpg
    SK3.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 69
Bummer indeed. It was too good to be true.

The two new bird photos are of an adult Red-shouldered Hawk. The tail and underwing pattern, and the orange breast and belly, rule out Snail Kite.

Oh Bummer... I was enjoying the puns on the Park name until I checked and saw I had gotten it wrong. Ed Medard Pk is no where near as fun.
You're right, that's far too mundane a name - yours is much better.

Time to start a write-in campaign, get the state (city?) to change it. :scribe:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back