• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Hungary, mainly Budapest (1 Viewer)

Marcus Conway - ebirder

Please can I have some information on top birding spots in and around Budapest where I may well now be spending Christmas and New year B :)B :)B :)

I would like to see woodpeckers, owls, hawfinch, interesting wildfowl and raptors. I have heard there maybe Wallcreeper and Alpine Accentor within striking distanceby car. Was it the Danube Bends?? Also any top tips would be very much appreciated.

I will have one of the camera's too so any good feeding stations in the parks could be handy! :t:

Many thanks

Marcus,

Contact Gerard Gorman via Probirder.net - http://www.probirder.com/ - PM your email address and I'll send you my correspondence with him. He was excellent value for a day's birding in August, and I would recommend a guide if only to save you a great deal of hassle trying to find places. The good places are poorly signposted and I was very grateful for his guiding on day 1, without which I would never have found the locations, let alone the species. I used birdingpal to find someone for my 2nd day, and had another great day out. Days 3 and 4 I did my own searching in the south of Hungary, well out of striking distance from Budapest, and had a great time although a bit more local knowledge would have got me some good birds I missed.

That said, you may want to consider exploring away from Budapest - the rest of Hungary is much cheaper - you can stay a week in Baja for the price of similar accommodation for one night in Budapest.

Also, remember that it will be very, very, very cold and likely covered in deep snow everywhere.

Graham

I found it easy to see Black Woodpecker & Hawfiches in the Buda Hill above the west bank of the Danube in the centre of the city. Obudai & Margaret Islands have Syrian, G-spot, M-spot, etc. Try Gorman's 'Birding n Eastern Europe' for details,

John

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back