• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ontario Mammal Id. (1 Viewer)

snowyowl

I very recently returned from a trip to Ontario, specifically Cambridge. While I was there I took a walk (birding actually) through the Regional Forest.
The area that I'm referring to is on Highway 24A (Sprague Road) between Cambridge and Pinehurst Conservation Area.
As I walked through the forest, a saw and heard a lot of Red Squirrels. At one point, as I passed several mid-sized poplars, I disturbed an animal in one of the trees. I saw and heard the movement as it jumped from one tree to the next. I heard a quick chatter. I didn't see the animal but assumed another squirrel. After I had gone a litttle further, it occurred to me that the squirrel hadn't scolded me, as they almost always do, so I went back.
What I saw was a dark brown, almost black, mammal, about 24" long, clinging very closely against the tree trunk. It was about 20' up. I couldn't see the head because of vegetation. It immediately sprang to another tree and moved off through the forest. The sighting was at the edge of a wet area with lots of snags, downed trees etc.
My conclusion was Pine Marten, one of the few Canadian largish mammals that I hadn't seen.
If this had occurred in northern or eastern Ontario, no problem, I would simply been pleased with the sighting. It seems to me that Pine Martens are probably not common in Southern Ontario and, if my id. is correct, this probably should be reported. The catch is that the Pine Marten behavour that is described in books doesn't match what I saw. The books say that Martens are curious and alert. Pictures all show Martens looking boldly at the camera. My animal was molded against the tree and fled as soon as it realized that I had spotted it. I would also have expected it to be in an area of coniferous trees rather than in the mixed forest.
I've tried to contact a local naturalist's organization and plus Gov. depts to ask but so far haven't had any replies. I would appreciate any comments on this sighting especially from anyone who is familiar with the wildlife of Southern Ontario. :h?:

Hi Dan, can't help you much with southern Ontario wildlife, I'm afraid, but your description certainly sounds like the pine marten we saw up here last year. It stayed high in the treetops, chattered at us. Every time my husband moved (he was trying to take pictures), it would jump to another treetop and peek at us from behind the branches.
I'd be interested to know what any agencies might tell you about this sighting. Is it rare down there or not? Keep us posted, okay?
By the way, 'ours' was in mixed forest too.......jackpine, poplar, birch, spruce, tamarac. About as mixed as it gets up here!

Last edited:
Tammie said:
Hi Dan, can't help you much with southern Ontario wildlife, I'm afraid, but your description certainly sounds like the pine marten we saw up here last year. It stayed high in the treetops, chattered at us. Every time my husband moved (he was trying to take pictures), it would jump to another treetop and peek at us from behind the branches.
I'd be interested to know what any agencies might tell you about this sighting. Is it rare down there or not? Keep us posted, okay?
By the way, 'ours' was in mixed forest too.......jackpine, poplar, birch, spruce, tamarac. About as mixed as it gets up here!
Thanks, Tammie. I still haven't been able to contact any agency to find out how rare this animal may be. I'll keep you posted as/if I find out anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back