• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

August Moths (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the ID, Farnboro John also did same on my misplaced posting under July moths. Seems I need to report this one to local recorder for Surrey.

Any help with the other IDs, the Coronet? and Unknown 1 which looked micro like but was pretty large.

Thanks for the ID, Farnboro John also did same on my misplaced posting under July moths. Seems I need to report this one to local recorder for Surrey.

Any help with the other IDs, the Coronet? and Unknown 1 which looked micro like but was pretty large.

Coronet confirmed, the other is a Wax Moth, a micro, well done on the Marbled, very envious.

Beautiful Marbled.
Fantastic. What a wonderful moth to find. Very beautiful. And like the others I'm both impressed and slightly jealous.
Well done.

Thanks for the other ID's too, that night was my best this year species and number-wise which isn't saying much if you see my other posts but I certainly wasn't expecting such a rarity!
Am now back in Farnborough and returned to a massive count of 2 x Straw Underwings last night! Haslemere is definitely more productive for me.

Allen

Thanks for the other ID's too, that night was my best this year species and number-wise which isn't saying much if you see my other posts but I certainly wasn't expecting such a rarity!
Am now back in Farnborough and returned to a massive count of 2 x Straw Underwings last night! Haslemere is definitely more productive for me.

Allen

That's all very well but I haven't had Straw Underwing yet! It's bizarre how different your results and mine are. :eek!:

John

John

Yes it is bizarre; am changing the baffles in my trap to clear ones next week to see if that helps retention. In the meantime can anyone help with ID's on these. 1 I think is Poplar Grey although it doesn't fit exactly, 2 obviously Footman -Common or Scarce?

Attachments

• Poplar Grey.jpg
    Poplar Grey.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Footman sp.jpg
    Footman sp.jpg
    593.8 KB · Views: 23
John

Yes it is bizarre; am changing the baffles in my trap to clear ones next week to see if that helps retention. In the meantime can anyone help with ID's on these. 1 I think is Poplar Grey although it doesn't fit exactly, 2 obviously Footman -Common or Scarce?

Knot Grass and Scarce Footman. Well done getting that Beautiful Marbled, I live in hope of getting one one day.

Excellent stuff! I twitched the first Beautiful Marbled when it was simply Eublemma purpurina and it didn't have a vernacular name in August 2004. It actually got gazumped with the first found in a collection from 2001 as far as I know. I've never caught it myself so far...

Dipped in for the first time in a while. Playing catch up on pics after finally getting out for a night in the field with a few traps (189 species including aggregates).

I intend to update July & August threads this week.

Well done again.

Last night was a reasonable night after a string of poor ones.
Crassa unitella, Black Arches, an Ear (agg. at present) and Wax Moth all new for the garden.
Oak Eggar, Jersey Tigers, Tree-lichen Beauties, Spectacle, Cloaked minors, Copper Underwing, Straw Underwings, Oak Hook-tip, Beautiful plume, Lime-speck Pug, Gypsy Moth and Scalloped Oaks providing some colour and/or interest. 40 species in total.

Better here last night, looks like late emergers and second gen are starting to appear and fill the void at last. Dusky Thorn was new for the year and 7 Marbled Beauties were clearly 2nd gen.

Straw Underwing again here + Nut-tree Tussock, Square-spot Rustic, a very worn Copper Underwing, Black Arches and more Tree-lichen Beauty which seems to be the highest number moth I'm getting at moment.

A good night last night, with three new garden moths. First of these was a Sallow Kitten, sitting on top of the trap, whirring its wings ready for take off when I checked at half five - Oh no you don't! Managed to pot it and calm it down for photos. On the window a very fine Purple Thorn (quickly relocated itself to the garden fence), and in the trap itself a Pale Prominent. It sat nicely on the slab for pics, and then when it was blundered into by a Lesser Broad-bordered etc I was trying to photograph it suddenly fanned itself out, looked like a completely different beast! Other highlights were my first Pebble Hook-tips for six weeks, and only my second Common Carpets since the first back at the end of May. True Lover's Knot was also just my second in the garden.

Large Yellow Underwing took the numbers with 38, Riband Wave coming in a distant second with 7. I also have some Footman pics to go through, just Common & Dingy I think, but there were quite a few and on the off chance there's a Buff lurking in there I want to take a closer look, but I'm too tired right now.

Attachments

• IMG_3934.JPG
    IMG_3934.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3996.JPG
    IMG_3996.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3991.JPG
    IMG_3991.JPG
    248.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3865.JPG
    IMG_3865.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3955.JPG
    IMG_3955.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 22
FWIW a record number of Oak Processionary Moths and Jersey Tigers tonight (all around the pot), not easy to count however- circa 30 and 15+ respectively, also 3 Gypsy Moths, 3 Brimstone, 6 TLB’s a Herald plus a Copper Underwing and to think tonight’s overnight temperature will be somewhat cooler than tomorrow’s projected in the South East. :eek!:

A disappointing night here, c15 moths total, three Straw Dot being the most notable. After yesterdays, slight catch improvement and the days, humid conditions with overnight cloud, I had expected much better.

An update on last night’s catch which turned into a record by my standards with c118 Oak Processionary Moths, 17 Jersey Tigers, Ruby Tiger, 4 Gypsy Moths, 2 Black Arches, 3 Brimstone etc. in total c160 moths of c16 species which would equate to a quadrupling of any previous haul. It would be no exaggeration to liken my last night’s arm waving” to Tippi Hendren’s attempt to ward off the crows (OPM’s) in Hitchcock’s famous ‘60’s film “The Birds”. :eek!: ;)

Its interesting to see the different successes/failures each night on this forum. Disappointing low numbers here despite what I thought was a decent night. Singles of Brimstone, Common Rustic, Ruby Tiger, Willow Beauty, Yellow Shell and what seems to be a White Banded Carpet. A pair of Shuttle shaped Darts and top count going to 4 Dusky Thorns.

Last night started well and slowly ran out of steam, with less coming in after midnight.
Only new moth for garden was Nephopterix angustella. 3 Gypsy Moths. Everything else a repetition of the previous night. 12 Water Veneer and 11 Least Carpet, the big counts. 110 moths of 37 species.

After the dust had settled....I found this! Am totally over the moon, never did I think that I would ever trap a Mocha! :eek!:

PS To try and put the increased figures for Jersey Tiger and Oak Processionary Moth into a time frame context, compared to same date last year JT x3 and OPM x2!...that’s a six fold increase for the former and a c60 fold increase for the latter!

With a South East 27 degree overnight forecast tonight, the resulting “haul” might be of interest throughout the realm. :eek!:

Attachments

• P2280754.jpeg     Mocha!.jpeg
    P2280754.jpeg Mocha!.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back