• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Telstar 12x40 Coated Binoculars made in France?? (1 Viewer)

slingworks

Hello
Found an interesting pair of 12x40s for sale. Marked "Telstar 12x40 Coated LL

In tiny font on on prism cover it's stamped "MADE IN FRANCE."

These come with a reddish color leather case. Ocular housings are knurled, and all the screws are standard head. Certainly looks like a quality piece. Nice overall condition.

Does anyone have any info about these? I cannot find ANYTHING. on them.

Thinking to buy these for the novelty. asking price is $75. They are for sale online.

Attachments

• telstar.jpg
    telstar.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 197
I have a Telstar 8x30 my father bought in the late '60s I'd guess. From the type, style and arrangement of the info on the prism housing I'm sure yours if from the same company. Mine is definitely made in Japan. It's stamped on the hinge cover and still has the remains of the test label. Unfortunately the JB numbers are partially obscured by the bottom cover plate, but I guess it's possible yours is a different design and made for Telstar by a different manufacturer. The finish and shape of the eyepiece of the two is different.

I wouldn't know what my father paid for ours, but I'm sure it wasn't much. It's definitely at the bottom end of the quality range. It looks like only the external lens surfaces are coated and the contrast is quite poor and pretty dim. There is some peripheral astigmatism, but the centre resolution looks reasonable and the CA surpisingly well controlled. Close focus about 40ft.

I'm sure the collectors on the forum could tell you more about the going rate for Japanese models of this vintage, but based on mine, I'm thinking $75 sound a little high.

David

Last edited:
I remember the 1962 song Telstar about the communication satellite.

There was a plagiarism claim by french composer Jean Ledrut accusing Joe Meek (Wikipedia).
So Joe Meek could not get royalties.

If binocular makers and sellers names and claims were subject to similar action many binoculars could not be sold.

Well I did some online searching, it appears that there are a fair number of 8x30s of the same series as these French made binoculars labeled "Bellevue." I guess the Telstar must be the name for the 12x...So, maybe someone has a review of binoculars labeled "Bellevue?"

Last edited:
In doing research for the not for profit binocular research website www.miniaturebinoculars.com I have determined that the US trademark for Telstar for binoculars was held by the U.S. importer EIG Cutlery of Florida, best known for importing switchblade knives prior to the imposition of USC chap 29 of 1958, and for importing inexpensive Saturday night special type revolvers, pistols & derringers prior to the gun control act of 1968, and for importing black powder replicas of historical pistols. Firearms Import and Export Co took over the Telstar binocular brand in 1970, though they may not have used it . Like every other binocular importer, EIG imported binoculars with their brand name on contracted from a number of manufacturers. EIG was incorporated from 1962 to 1985. Your binoculars came from them.

Well I did some online searching, it appears that there are a fair number of 8x30s of the same series as these French made binoculars labeled "Bellevue." I guess the Telstar must be the name for the 12x...So, maybe someone has a review of binoculars labeled "Bellevue?"

Belleview, Telstar, Town & Country, OTASCO (Not Tasco, but Oklahoma Tire and Supply Company), Pyramid, Fields, and a bazillion other “brands” came from Japan in those days. Even today, if you have $500 to spend and two empty suitcases, you can return from Asia as a binocular mogul. :cat:

Bill

Until I saw this thread I had forgotten that my first pair of "proper" bins were made in France. These were a pair of 8x25 Aquilus porro prism. Still got them in a drawer somewhere,worth nothing but sentimental value.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back