• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CA On The Noctivid (1 Viewer)

No. I decided I am a "sharp edge" kind of man and the SV is the only bino that has sharp enough edges for me. ALL the Swarovski's are pretty good. Those big 56's have an aberration free on-axis view that is for sure. Almost like their is no glass in between you and the bird. They are great in low light too.

I traded my 10x42 Noctivid for the 8x56 and I am addicted to that transparent center view like you said. The Noctivid was very good but not quite the same transparency as the 8x56. The slc also has a lot less CA. I was wanting to trade for the 8x42 Noctivid but I couldn’t find one so I ended up with the 8x56 slc.

If you're paying $2500 for absolute best of the best, the only way you can choose is to be overly critical.

That’s not necessarily true. Ergonomics and brand probably still sell more Alpha bins than specifications or BF reviews and banter :)

This endless musing on the merits of various instruments and their closeness to optical perfection is very entertaining - and often interesting - to read, and several posters have hit the nail on the head when they say that its all very subjective and personal. What I fail to understand is how the more critical contributors to this forum manage to enjoy their birding when they appear to be spending far more time picking fault with or otherwise critiquing their binoculars than they do actually birding with them!?

RB

RB,

It is the Binocular sub-forum, many here like to compare different glass under various conditions. Discussion of birding experiences can be found on the thread "Binocular Journal" or other subforums. Additionally, many here use their glass for general nature observation or even for work.

Andy W.

RB,

It is the Binocular sub-forum, many here like to compare different glass under various conditions. Discussion of birding experiences can be found on the thread "Binocular Journal" or other subforums. Additionally, many here use their glass for general nature observation or even for work.

Andy W.

As indeed do I! Thanks for your opinion but I don't think that my comment is allied to the 'Binocular Journal' sub-forum and is wholly pertinent to the sub-forum that it was posted to in my humble opinion.

RB

What I fail to understand is how the more critical contributors to this forum manage to enjoy their birding when they appear to be spending far more time picking fault with or otherwise critiquing their binoculars than they do actually birding with them!?

RB

This has no doubt occurred to many of our more nature- or bird-orientated members but do remember that the enjoyment of binos as objects in themselves is just as valid as a source of fascination and pleasure as looking at birds or the other wonders of nature. I am not a birder, as such, although this is exactly how my interest in nature observation started and birds are still a major source of enjoyment for me. But I get equal kicks out of gazing at flowers, insects, creatures in freshwater and in seaside rock pools and much more through my binos and I am sure that our more 'critical contributors' (as you put it) get just as much fascination from the different optical characteristics as I do from nature.

This is what makes Birdforum a place of such diversity.

Lee

...What I fail to understand is how the more critical contributors to this forum manage to enjoy their birding when they appear to be spending far more time picking fault with or otherwise critiquing their binoculars than they do actually birding with them!?...
A binocular is supposed to move birds closer to you. You beware when it takes over your attention and moves them away from you.

We are here because of interest in binoculars to view birds. The Binoculars sub-forum in BirdForum is for that. Taking this to any length including "gear addiction" still can be healthy. Then there is what I write of above which is ironic and unfortunate.

This endless musing on the merits of various instruments and their closeness to optical perfection is very entertaining - and often interesting - to read, and several posters have hit the nail on the head when they say that its all very subjective and personal. What I fail to understand is how the more critical contributors to this forum manage to enjoy their birding when they appear to be spending far more time picking fault with or otherwise critiquing their binoculars than they do actually birding with them!?

RB

I never understand these posts - this is the bino. forum, what are we supposed to talk about?

Did a six mile hike this morning in a high prairie grassland area. After passing a few signs which showcased some of the birds in the habitat, I was wishing I had brought a pair of binoculars along. Good thing I have around a dozen of 'em at home to compare to each other and nit-pick their pluses and minuses. :-O

CG

RB we all have opinions.

Andy W.

We certainly do, and its a sad fact that anyone outside the clique who puts forward an opinion which goes against the grain, it is either decried or ignored! As I've now stymied my chances of becoming one of the elite, perhaps I should refrain from commenting further.

RB

RB,

Don't fret, keep commenting what you see, and explain what you like and dislike in any glass. We all have different vision, I see color different in one eye than the other and we all have our preferences regarding ergonomics, eye relief, etc.,There is no elite here, they are at the French Riviera.

Andy W.

We certainly do, and its a sad fact that anyone outside the clique who puts forward an opinion which goes against the grain, it is either decried or ignored! As I've now stymied my chances of becoming one of the elite, perhaps I should refrain from commenting further.

RB

Always room for rebellious outer group members....:t:

CG

...birds...I was wishing I had brought a pair of binoculars along. Good thing I have around a dozen of 'em at home to compare to each other and nit-pick their pluses and minuses. :-O ...
IMHO their biggest plus is the ability to bring birds closer. :-O

RB,

Don't fret, keep commenting what you see, and explain what you like and dislike in any glass. We all have different vision, I see color different in one eye than the other and we all have our preferences regarding ergonomics, eye relief, etc.,There is no elite here, they are at the French Riviera.

Andy W.

Exactly right Andy.

Lee

Lee,

I see you've been made a moderator (unless that happened a while ago and I've just been unobservant!).

Congratulations! Or is it commiserations? ;)

Lee,

I see you've been made a moderator (unless that happened a while ago and I've just been unobservant!).

Congratulations! Or is it commiserations? ;)

Hi Mike

Yes this happened way back. You were probably suffering from the months of winter darkness and in no condition to notice. Congratulations is appropriate as the Birdforum community is amazing for the amount of help that members are prepared to give one another. In the past there have been 'tense moments' among the binocular community but these have greatly reduced and despite deep disagreements over many subjects the vast majority of exchanges take place with politeness and good humour. It is a good place to be.

Thanks for your kind thoughts Mike, and in future, do try and keep up :-O

Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back