• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leitz 7X42 (1 Viewer)

dries1

Have these out for the sun today, and for a glass I bought sight unseen for parts for another pair, all it needed were some new eye-cups - from Leica and I have a glass almost as new,a most lucky used glass purchase.

To this day it still provides some great wide views, with very good contrast.
Great day here on the east coast, dry and no humidity.

Andy W.

Attachments

• DSCF4095.jpg
    DSCF4095.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 207
Andy,

I'm surprised Leica still has eye cups for them. Years ago in the 1990s when I was wearing glasses I wore out a set of folding rubber eye cups on my Leitz 7x42 Trinovid BA (Green armored). I contacted Leica about getting new ones. They had the green ones in stock but they cost me $25.00 each. They were screw on eye cups. Somewhat later I purchased a Leica 7x42 Trinovid BN and stopped using the Leitz. The rubber eye cups on it are still in good shape.

Bob

Bob,

Yes I got that advice here on the Bird forum, I contacted Leica and yes they were $25 each. As I do not wear glasses and leave them fully out, if I could make a hard pair with the screw in threads that would be ideal. But for now just enjoying them on these sunny days. I now see the demand for these upgraded from Leica, perhaps one day.

Andy W.

Have these out for the sun today, and for a glass I bought sight unseen for parts for another pair, all it needed were some new eye-cups - from Leica and I have a glass almost as new,a most lucky used glass purchase.

To this day it still provides some great wide views, with very good contrast.
Great day here on the east coast, dry and no humidity.

Andy W.

The leatherette pattern on your binos reminds me of my trusty M4-P camera, Andy. Would they have been manufactured in the early 80s? Hope you had a good day's birding!

Tom

Last edited:
Tom,

I think late 80s early 90s?, somewhere in that ball park. It was a nice day, not for long, humidity on the way.

Andy W.

Timeless appearance and design. How would you consider the lack of phase coating affects the image - readily apparent, or "stacking BBs"?

Take a look through one of these, (a good clean sample) on a nice sunny day, you will like the view, it has great contrast.

Andy W.

Andy,

I'm surprised Leica still has eye cups for them. Years ago in the 1990s when I was wearing glasses I wore out a set of folding rubber eye cups on my Leitz 7x42 Trinovid BA (Green armored). I contacted Leica about getting new ones. They had the green ones in stock but they cost me $25.00 each. They were screw on eye cups. Somewhat later I purchased a Leica 7x42 Trinovid BN and stopped using the Leitz. The rubber eye cups on it are still in good shape.

Bob

By an odd coincidence, yesterday I was raiding my spare parts drawer for and objective cover to use as an eyepiece cover on a borrowed scope when I came across a poly bag containing a pair of Leitz eyecups bought as spares some years ago for Troubadoris's Leitz 8x40s and they are green ones. Our friendly dealer told us Leica were fresh out of black ones so we had to settle for green at the princely sum of £20 each. Fortunately we never needed to fit these before her Leitz's settled into a well-deserved retirement.

Lee

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back