• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

cordless mouse driving me nuts (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

recently bought a technika cordless mouse which is driving me crazy. The cursor has a tendency to just wander around the screen and I often miss what I am trying to click on. Any thoughts? Computers are driving me crazy and work as well so you could be saving me from going mad.

Steve

You could try playing with the mouse settings in the control panel, maybe
try the pointer options and change the pointer speed settings?

As Andy said, try a different surface, or ditch it and get a different one.

The only trouble i have with my cordless/optical mouse is it eats the batteries :eek:(

Andrew Rowlands said:
Try changing the surface you use it on first, Steve.

(I'll take a PS2, wired optical mouse any day ... )

Cheers,

Andy.

Andy

tried that - wished I'd bought a wired one, my last wireless one caused me - different - problems

jeff said:
You could try playing with the mouse settings in the control panel, maybe
try the pointer options and change the pointer speed settings?

As Andy said, try a different surface, or ditch it and get a different one.

The only trouble i have with my cordless/optical mouse is it eats the batteries :eek:(

tried that as well

no receipt - bought it at tescos and threw the receipt away without thinking - I know it's not much money but I hate to throw money away when it could be spent on birding or drinking

Steve Babbs said:
recently bought a technika cordless mouse which is driving me crazy. The cursor has a tendency to just wander around the screen and I often miss what I am trying to click on. Any thoughts? Computers are driving me crazy and work as well so you could be saving me from going mad.

Steve
Take it back. It's faulty. Aldi have a superb cordless laser mouse at present - latest technology and a snip at around £12-00. You can use the laser to earn a bit of cash spare time doing corrective eye surgery or a spot of welding. You'll have your money back in no time if the law suits fail.

I have ended up with Microsoft and Logitech cordless after much trying, wasting of money and gnashing of teeth. Why? The batteries last forever - and they do the job.

Generally, you get what you pay for in life but, at Aldi, there are bargains waiting to be had.

Steve Babbs said:
no receipt - bought it at tescos and threw the receipt away without thinking - I know it's not much money but I hate to throw money away when it could be spent on birding or drinking
'Proof of purchase' doesn't just mean a receipt - just pop it into a Tesco carrier and try your luck!

Andrew Rowlands said:
'Proof of purchase' doesn't just mean a receipt - just pop it into a Tesco carrier and try your luck!
Tesco will swap it - a can of beans seems a fair deal from what you've said! Actually, at lunchtime, one of their beans kept wandering around my plate of its own volition just like your mouse pointer!

They don't insist on a receipt for exchange only refund.

Yes, it sounds like you just got stuck with a "lemon". It has been almost two years since I changed a Mouse. I have Cordless MouseMan Opticals by Logitech for all my PC's. Never a whiff of trouble and having the handy thumb button. To not pay through the nose for batteries, just get rechargeable cells and battery rechargers. They pay for themselves after a short time. I also use the same surfaces as I did with the old non-optical mouses - thick sponge rubber with a non-plastified upper surface.

Last edited:
Cordless mice and cordless keyboards are tricky damn things at the best of times. Sure, sometimes they work well - I'm typing this with a three-year-old cordless keyboard that has never missed a beat - but they quite often don't, and cause endless grief. Good brands are better than bad brands or no-name stuff, but even the good ones come back faulty on a fairly regular basis - at a guess, something like two in five come back with problems, and about half of those need to be replaced.

Compare that with orthodox mice and keyboards using ordinary cables. The return rate? No idea of a number, but it is tiny for the good quality ones, and even the really cheap and nasty stuff fails only now and again.

Best way to fix a cordless mouse?

Thow it away and buy a mouse that just works - i.e., one with a chord.

I have a Microsoft cordless mouse (ironically also bought from Tesco, clearance at £16.99), which so far has been great. Had it for a month and still on it's first set of NI-MH rechargeable AA batteries! I'd recommend the NI-MH batts over the older NI-CAD ones as they suffer less from the 'memory effect' if not fully discharged before being recharged.

As others have said, it's best to spend a few quid more and get a decent named brand. I bought a cheap no-name branded cordless keyboard a little while back, ended up sticking it on ebay as slightly faulty as I found it frequently missed a keystroke, and found the mouse it came with was cheap and cheerful too, also got through batteries rather quick.

With your mouse, does it have a 'calibration' screen or anything like that? Either that, or try pressing the 'connect' button on the reciever then the mouse and see if that makes any difference.

Mine is a cheap keyboard and mouse from Aldi (Medion), never had a problem with either, apart from the mouse gets through a few batteries, but i use rechargables so not too much of a problem.

Not that this will be of any help, but I'm still using my original MS Intellimouse (£44) and Keyboard (£38) I bought for my home office Dec 2001. Not cheap, but VERY reliable.

The kbd really needs a scrub though !

I had problems with my cordless mouse several months after I first got it, similar to the problems you describe, Steve.

Tried all sorts of things to no avail until I replaced the batteries. Voilà, problem fixed.

Hey Steve,
Just wanted to ask you. Are you using a laptop? And if so is there a mouse pointer in the middle of the internal keyboard? If you have a desktop then the 1st thing I would do is go the company home web page and map to there mouse support and driver area. Download the correct driver for the model you have and install it. A lot of the time the drivers they send with the equipment might be old and outdated.
Paul

Last edited:
Steve Babbs said:

Steve

I know this is late, but I've just joined the Forum. I too have a Technika mouse which started behaving as you describe. I changed the batteries and everything is now ok. I'm very pleased with the mouse - good value.

By the way - my search for this problem on Google led me to join the Bird forum. I didn't even know it existed. So - thanks to the mouse problem, here I am.

Hi Jimmid and a warm welcome toyou from all the staff and moderators at Bird Forum.

I'm glad you found us, by whatever route, and I'm sure you'll like it here.

D

Problem Solved!!!!

Hi Everyone
I also had this very same problem with the very same mouse and i have now solved the problem.

All i had to do was just to put some new batteries in!

I suppose thats the only downside of a wireless mouse -ive only had it a week and its gone through its first set of batteries already.

TIP:Buy rechargable batteries

Hope this helps everyone elses problem

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back