• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jeff's birding database (1 Viewer)

Using the Input and search form. Tried creating a record for blackbird by typing just B into the species box but it brought up just the letter B.
What I was hoping for was being able to input just the BTO code and it to then return the correct species name.
Would this be possible?

Keith,

Here's a screen shot from my data entry using codes. Is this where your having trouble?

Attachments

• codes.jpg
    codes.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 206
That's what I'm getting or rather what I am getting sometimes.
Input pt and you get pintail, input gx and you get gannet but input ma and you get MA rather than mallard, same with b blackbird and ga gadwall.

looks like some do work and some don't....LOL

Keith,

Yep, that's how it works.

If Pintail comes before PT alphabetically you get pintail, but MA files before Mallard so you get MA, each time your only typing the code though, PT gets you pintail, MA gets you Mallard. All the sightings are added to the correct location.

If you do a search using the 'ALL' button the others will follow (location, date, species) just missed requery from these, you only see the species name and not the code.

right....my thick Yorkshire brain is starting to grasp it. I'll keep playing with V4 see if i can find anything else to get wrong but it looks good so far.

Not got Access 2002 - 2007, i have been testing the runtime version and it looks like it works (one error but i also get that with the full version on some machines).

Once the 2007 runtime is released again (currently a few issues so pulled) i'll add a link for the download (c.50Mb)

Hi Jeff just a thought for next time you are upgrading your database program. Would it be possible to chose the destination of the install? Reason I ask is my machine has become a bit cluttered with garbage and I'm going to wipe the hard drive and re-install everything that I need.....I've a 4Gb memory stick and I thought 'great I''l put Jeff's database on there and then it's safe from viruses etc' Just tried to do this and the program wants to install to C drive without the option to chose.

Hi Jeff just a thought for next time you are upgrading your database program. Would it be possible to chose the destination of the install? Reason I ask is my machine has become a bit cluttered with garbage and I'm going to wipe the hard drive and re-install everything that I need.....I've a 4Gb memory stick and I thought 'great I''l put Jeff's database on there and then it's safe from viruses etc' Just tried to do this and the program wants to install to C drive without the option to chose.

Keith, sorry about the version i sent you a few weeks back, glad it worked though. I just noticed the reports tab has the fields spread out a bit, i must have been looking at something..... I'm in the process of adding a couple of bits, so will tidy that up before i send you the next update.

It's running okay out of the memory stick Jeff. No problems encountered so far. I have copied the datas files though I use a rolling trio of saved data files, overwriting the oldest copy every time I update the database, so at most I should lose only the last trip data.
It's quite handy to carry the memory stick around with me and update things at work or on other machines. :t:

Hi

I am beginner and have just downloaded your database, it's brilliant. I had been wondering about the best way of recording what I see and this seems to be just what I'm looking for.

Thanks
Mags

How do I delete a location

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks Jeff for a great recording tool, I have been using a
dodgy self made speadsheet up till now but this is so much better.

I am probably being a bit thick as I am new to databases but
how do I delete a location from the location list as I have input
one incorrectly?
Thanks
keith Hackett

You'd need to open the jbddata.mde database, look for the location table and delete the row you no longer need.

Sorry, never got round to adding any delete options on the forms.

Hi Jeff,have successfully downloaded program,and saved to desktop,but when click to open,it goes to an unsupported adobe page,i run windows 7 and excell 2007,just probably i am being a bit blonde,but advice will help cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back