• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buzzards Migrating over Egypt April 2019 (1 Viewer)

GeorginaEgypt

Egypt
These birds migrate at the same time as the storks over Egypt twice per year.

I have never seen so many in one flock. Are they just buzzards please, or different types?

These photos were taken beginning of April 2019 right over my roof terrace in El Gouna on the Red Sea Coast of Egypt.

Apologies for poor quality, they were so high.

Buzzard flock April 2019.jpg

Buzzards 1st April 2019.jpg

This is a close up I took September 2017. Comparing the markings online it looks like a Honey Buzzard?

European Honey Buzzard Pernis apivorus  4th September 2017.jpg

European Honey Buzzard
Pernis apivorus

Post #5 is a Honey Buzzard.

Post #6 first bird is a Black Kite, then all Honey Buzzards with the exception of the upper right bird in the last picture which is a Buzzard.

So this Honey Buzzard (?) I stumbled across by accident. I had been with a group climbing up the small mountain opposite town, and walking back in the heat alone through El Gouna Farm searching for our driver.

Buzzard location.jpg

I suddenly spotted this and it had something in its mouth which I thought was a stick.

Honey Buzzard1 may 2015.jpg

When it took off, whatever it had in its mouth was bending.

Honey Buzzard kite take off 1 may 2015.jpg

Then straight again.

Honey Buzzard take off 2 1 may 2015.jpg

Don't know of any red snakes in the area. Plenty of horned vipers (Cerastes vipera) !

honey buzzards in post 5 and 6 (pics 2-4) while #6, pic 1 is a black kite.
the bird in post 11 looks like a juvenile buteo (buteo) cirtensis (north african buzzard).

honey buzzards in post 5 and 6 (pics 2-4) while #6, pic 1 is a black kite.
the bird in post 11 looks like a juvenile buteo (buteo) cirtensis (north african buzzard).

Does cirtensis extend all the way across North Africa to the Red Sea coast? Or will this be 'proper' Long-legged Buzzard?

Steve

Does cirtensis extend all the way across North Africa to the Red Sea coast? Or will this be 'proper' Long-legged Buzzard?

Steve

Jowers et al 2019 focused on the taxa within the Buzzard superspecies via a battery of DNA techniques. Amongst their conclusions is that taxon cirtensis is best considered an allospecies of Common Buzzard, but it does have some rufinus ancestry as well...
MJB

Jowers, MJ, S Sánchez-Ramírez, S Lopes, I Karyakin, V Dombrovski, A, Qninba, T Valkenburg, N Onofre, N Ferrand, P Beja, L, Palma and R Godinho. 2019. Unravelling population processes over the Late Pleistocene driving contemporary genetic divergence in Palearctic Buzzards, Mol. Phyl. Gen. & Evol. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ympev.2019.02.004

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back