• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fate of the FL 8X32? (1 Viewer)

………...
On the mechanical side it might be difficult, as you point out, to set standards for focus smoothness but it ought to be possible to set them for the torque required to rotate the wheel and also for the maximum 'slack' or 'free-play' permissible when changing the direction of rotation.

Lee

That would definitely a great start! But I'm afraid the majority of potential customers could not care less. Unless they would be guided by informed salespersons, of course.

Fate = events outside a person's control.

I'm sure Zeiss are very happy with the 8 x 32 's sales and history. Not as many tweaks or upgrades as the same Swarovski configurement which admittedly has been out for longer and no doubt will continue for a few more years. Whilst many are pontificating on a Zeiss SF 8 x 32* the FL continues in production for a while longer.

* See also separate thread

Fete = a celebratory and joyous event.

While many are pontificating on many things let us all celebrate the fact that there are enjoyable binos at widely differing price points today.

Lee

To avoid units that are too good (if this is what 'cherry units' are) wouldn't you need to have a maximum permissible light transmission? Like Robert I think maxima like this would just increase cost.

Lee

Is high brightness really a danger?
The light transmission percentage is not the 'cherry' factor afaik, rather it is that everything is properly aligned and centered, so that the lenses perform as desired.
I don't know if achieving that is possible in a process that is still apparently small lot batch production, as evidenced by the comments about the Zeiss 8x32 FL.

Is high brightness really a danger?
The light transmission percentage is not the 'cherry' factor afaik, rather it is that everything is properly aligned and centered, so that the lenses perform as desired.
I don't know if achieving that is possible in a process that is still apparently small lot batch production, as evidenced by the comments about the Zeiss 8x32 FL.

Forgive me I misunderstood and thought a cherry would have all kinds of factors better than the average. Having all the components aligned and centred should be the most basic requirement, I agree.

Lee

This thread is about the fate of the 8x32 FL, I do have a simple question, why is this important at all ?

Lots of love for this one, and I do have experience having owned the 8x42 FL.

Tell me, what does the 8x32 Victory FL have that makes it deserve any special attention ?

Jerry

Jerry

I think FL32 has become a topic for discussion simply because it has been around for a long time and a possible successor model, SF32, has been referred to by a Zeiss employee, so there has been some speculation about how long FL32 will remain in production.

Lee

This thread is about the fate of the 8x32 FL, I do have a simple question, why is this important at all ?
…….
Tell me, what does the 8x32 Victory FL have that makes it deserve any special attention ?

Jerry

One particular reason for me is the question why a superb product kind of vanishes from dealers' shelves, and for that matter from manufacturer's advertising. My local dealer used to carry it, together with Swarovski x32s, but he no longer had it in stock. And it's only because I had tested this model years ago that I knew I wanted to look at it under present day conditions now hat I needed to replace a x32 model. At the time of my previous testing, a replacement could not be justified yet.

Last edited:

Lots of love for this one, and I do have experience having owned the 8x42 FL.

Jerry

Jerry

I think FL32 has become a topic for discussion simply because it has been around for a long time and a possible successor model, SF32, has been referred to by a Zeiss employee, so there has been some speculation about how long FL32 will remain in production.

Lee

At the time I asked the question I was somewhat interested buying one. I've had one before and always questioned if that sample was a little "off." So basically I was gonna give it another try because as a whole, I like the FL series of binoculars. When I started looking around most everyone was "out" so I wondered if Zeiss had in fact ceased production which it looks like the answer is "no."

At the time I asked the question I was somewhat interested buying one. I've had one before and always questioned if that sample was a little "off." So basically I was gonna give it another try because as a whole, I like the FL series of binoculars. When I started looking around most everyone was "out" so I wondered if Zeiss had in fact ceased production which it looks like the answer is "no."

Chuck are still going to get an FL32?

Lee

I've noticed that the UK recommended retail price of the FL 32mm seems to have increased to around £1500 - £1600....wonder what's going on?

Perhaps as the exchange rates are continuing to favour the euro, costs of imported goods go up and the farcical B dilemma continues. Additionally the only other alpha 32mm is continuing along nicely in every way. Does BF really have such an influence? What about prices and availability across the Pond, also increases?

I was actually thinking about something more cynical and strategically corporate, re 'something that might happen soon that then won't seem so expensive....' - if it ever happens.

I was actually thinking about something more cynical and strategically corporate, re 'something that might happen soon that then won't seem so expensive....' - if it ever happens.

'Tis the way of the world; come the £2000+ 8x32SF, £1500 for what remains of the FL model won't seem too expensive, as you say. It's difficult not to be cynical in all aspects of life these days!

RB

Perhaps as the exchange rates are continuing to favour the euro, costs of imported goods go up and the farcical B dilemma continues. Additionally the only other alpha 32mm is continuing along nicely in every way. Does BF really have such an influence? What about prices and availability across the Pond, also increases?

The Pound has gone downhill since early May. So UK price increases are likely a consequence of the Brexit related loss of buying power.

Jerry

I suppose it's simply the last of its kind. Just like the 7x42 Dialyt was the last of that great classic series, and the 7x50B likewise.

Possibly because people are bigging it up on birding forums?

RB

It would be amusing if the witterings of bino-geeks like us had more of an influence on binocular pricing than, say the pound being at a five month low against the euro. Anyone like to hazard a guess which way prices will go if "no deal" happens? ...

I haven't checked, and may not have been aware of prior RRPs anyway, but is this reflected in rises in price of the SF, SV and other European bins?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back