• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poorly Blue Tit (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
There's been a Blue Tit coming to my window feeder today and he's blown up to twice the size of a normal one.

A short while ago I found him asleep and breathing very fast in the feeder, got really close to him to take a picture and he never moved.

He's now crept underneath the narrow window ledge and is clinging on there, still with fast breathing.

Anyone any ideas what might be wrong with him?

Attachments

• BF Poorly Blue Tit.jpg
    BF Poorly Blue Tit.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 24
Well, he definitely sounds sick from your narrative. Anyone from RSPB that can come out and get it for you?

Most unlikely. They are more to do with conservation, protection and studying of birds. Only realistic route would be a wildlife rescue centre if one can be found nearby.

Sadly the guy died in the night.

I phoned the SPCA Wildlife centre this morning and there are no known diseases of tits in this area. They suggested I keep an eye on the others to see if there's any more occurrences. They do display that behaviour if they've been injured in any way, to make themselves look much bigger and braver.

They do display that behaviour if they've been injured in any way, to make themselves look much bigger and braver.

I would guess the puffing up is more due to the bird being cold due to illness and trying to maintain warmth. When it gets down to minus 20 and less out here, virtually all the Blue Tits and Great Tits do this - like pom poms on legs.

Last edited:
Cheers Jos..... certainly not that cold here - mid/top teens in temperature and he was sitting in a sunny spot too.

It was odd that he perked up every half hour or so to start eating again.

Cheers Jos..... certainly not that cold here - mid/top teens in temperature and he was sitting in a sunny spot too.

It was odd that he perked up every half hour or so to start eating again.

But when ill, can feel cold regardless of actual temperature. I remember having malaria...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back