• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x42: Legend Ultra HD or Bushnell Elite (1 Viewer)

Andrea-Bologna

I'd like to choose between Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 8x42 or Bushnell Elite 8x42.
  • I birdwatch
  • I always wear glasses (unfotunately)
  • I want a solid bino as I bring it during trekkings and so on

I've read a few threads but I still have no clear idea (I'm even considering some Minox/ Nikon / Kowa)

thanx for any answer.....

Andrea

I'd like to choose between Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 8x42 or Bushnell Elite 8x42.
  • I birdwatch
  • I always wear glasses (unfotunately)
  • I want a solid bino as I bring it during trekkings and so on

I've read a few threads but I still have no clear idea (I'm even considering some Minox/ Nikon / Kowa)

thanx for any answer.....

Andrea

Andrea,

Can't give you impressions on those two bins, but some general observations about ER and uses eyeglasses with bins.

I used to wear glasses while using my bins so I was always looking for high eye relief binoculars.

What I quickly found out is that the listed ER and the usable ER for glasses are often two different things.

Just for starts, you can knock off 3mm for the lens recession, less than that and you might hit the lenses with your glasses if the glass lenses are highly curved.

With twist up eycups, you have to add another 2 or 3mm, because in most bins, they sit above the EP housing.

So now you can subtract 5-6mm from the listed ER.

Bins that list 17mm ER could actually be 12 or 11mm. I've seen this. Case in point, the Orion Vista 8x42 (similar to Vixen 8x42 and probably made by Vixen).

The listed ER for the bin is 18mm and here's what the sales blurb says: "Ample eye relief and roll-back rubber eyecups ensure comfortable viewing with or without eyeglasses." NOT.

The usable ER is only 11mm, which would only work for you if you had bulging eyes like this:

http://www.daily-tangents.com/Store/Things/images/eyegore.jpg

Another thing I learned is that asking other eyeglass wearers if a particular bin has enough ER for them might not apply to you.

I have deep-set eyes (same facial features and hair but less wrinkles than my cousin Sam):

http://images.starpulse.com/pictures/2007/11/28/previews/Sam%20Elliott-SPX-016102.jpg

Add to that 5-6mm set back for the lenses and twist up eyecups another 3mm for deep set eyes, and now I'm down 8 or 9 mm ER.

Then you have to consider how far back you can set your eyeglasses on your face and the thickness of the eyeglass lenses.

For me, all those factors add up to be so much that I have yet to look through a bin with eyeglasses (even with my thin polycarbonate glasses that set flat on my forehead) and see the entire FOV.

Even a bin with a usable 20mm ER would not allow me see the entire FOV. So I don't use eyeglasses with bins anymore. The diopter helps correct my myopia, but the astigmatism is still a problem in low light. In bright light, the smaller entrance pupils lessens the defect.

Anyway, some food for thought, and that's no Bologna. :)

Brock

8x42: Legend Ultra HD or Bushnell Elite

Well, thank you for the long answer.... so far to me it seems impossibile not to wear always my glasses... of course I can try, but it's something weird for me.
I hope to have some other comment about the 2 Bushnell anyway!
:h?:

Anyway, "Bologna" in my nickname is the city I live in.... actually here we "invented" the food you call "Bologna" , but here that stuff it's called another way! It's like "Spaghetti bolognese" that here in Bologna (the city!) nevere existed!
;)

If I was going to choose between the two all things being equal (they're not) I would get the Elite. The HD is a great value, however. Either should have sufficient ER but with the 8x42 I'm thinking mass. You mentioned trekkings (aka hiking?). I like to keep things very light for anything over like 3 - 5 miles. A nice little reverse porro or 8x32 also makes an excellent all around model and is also noticeably lighter. The premium compacts (8x20 or 10x25) are less-"all around" but also very handy.

Were I you, I'd stick around for a bit and pour through the bin forum to start seeing threads of commonality and start selecting from there. Many great choices but a false start takes a lot of energy to reverse if it's going to be the one bino.

Best of luck.

....You mentioned trekkings (aka hiking?). I like to keep things very light for anything over like 3 - 5 miles....

Yes here in Italia se say "trekking" for "hiking", they 're both english terms, don't ask me the reason for that choice...
I happened to go walking for some consecutive days with my (now "dead") 8x42 Nikon which is 800 gr, I mean really heavy.
Of course I'm looking at web sites, reviews and this forum , but you know, after a while my head starts to ache! For me there' s too many techical details and also the english language doesn't help, especially when using "slang" or "unusual" phrases / terms.
Maybe the truth is that I'm pretty lazy!
:-C

Yes here in Italia se say "trekking" for "hiking", they 're both english terms, don't ask me the reason for that choice...
I happened to go walking for some consecutive days with my (now "dead") 8x42 Nikon which is 800 gr, I mean really heavy.
Of course I'm looking at web sites, reviews and this forum , but you know, after a while my head starts to ache! For me there' s too many techical details and also the english language doesn't help, especially when using "slang" or "unusual" phrases / terms.
Maybe the truth is that I'm pretty lazy!
:-C

I should know as I have several "trekking" poles but I didn't know if that referred to hiking or maybe travel. I was thinking that I would try to start you off with a few models to check with but I think some questions are in order.

1. On the Nikons - they may be under warranty - so if you liked them, have you checked this out?

2. What is your desired budget? There are great options for almost any!

3. Is your primary activity birding or is that secondary?

4. For specifications, do you value lightweight, wide field of view, eye relief? Pick two :) If you're not sure, let us know. Glasses are a big clue for long eye relief (16mm or more)

5. Since you had some bins before - what did you like about them most and what did you dislike most? What model were they?

6. Do you need "all weather" or do you only use in good weather?

Another thing that might give you a few suggestions for the popular models is the "academy awards for binoculars" thread.

Also, check with Cameralandny.com - they are excellent, have great models and if you can figure out a way to call them on different sides of the globe, they might be able to help. They have a great deal on Vortex right now but always have great deals. Eagle Optics is also an excellent, reputable dealer. I think both of them can help steer you to a good solution for your needs. I believe one or both ship overseas but could be wrong - certainly someone will if needed.

Matt

hi again....

I must be "short" as I'm at work...

I just have this Nikon 8x42 since 1999 I think, I do not think it's under warranty but I must check this out.

I used just this bino and I can't actually comapre to others.

I want at least an 8x, and I'm checking out also Nikon Monarch and some Minox.

Desired budget is 200-500 euro (about the same in US $)

Primary activity IS birding... almost the only one.

Yes I value lightweight and eye relief as I wear glasses.

Field of view.... it's a bit less important.

As I said the bino must be reliable also with rain, dirt and so on.

Thanx for the "academy awards for binoculars" link, and the other hints too.

hi again....

I must be "short" as I'm at work...

I just have this Nikon 8x42 since 1999 I think, I do not think it's under warranty but I must check this out.

I used just this bino and I can't actually comapre to others.

I want at least an 8x, and I'm checking out also Nikon Monarch and some Minox.

Desired budget is 200-500 euro (about the same in US $)

Primary activity IS birding... almost the only one.

Yes I value lightweight and eye relief as I wear glasses.

Field of view.... it's a bit less important.

As I said the bino must be reliable also with rain, dirt and so on.

Thanx for the "academy awards for binoculars" link, and the other hints too.

OK this is good info. If you said secondary activity then I'd suggest a compact like an 8x25 reverse porro. But since it is your primary activity, but considering the need to use trekking, I'd highly suggest the 8x32-class as a very versatile size. And since you need all weather, a roof prism is the best bet (although the good porro units like the Nikon 8x32 SE don't disintegrate in water :) ).

The suggestions above for the Vortex Fury are good but I'd get 8x32. In your budget, I'd prefer the Vortex Viper also in 8x32. Should be more color accurate. You may find a Nikon 8x32 SE or 8x30 EII in your range but they are bulkier than the equivalent roof prism. The new Nikon Monarchs are an improvement but the old Monarchs are just plain outclassed by a number of manufacturers now. Also well within your range is the excellent Pentax 8x32 SP - although it is prone to color fringing which would make the Viper superior.

The Vortex and Pentax will be borderline on eye relief - 16 or 17mm is just enough to see the whole field of view - most of the time. That will depend a bit on the type of glasses, etc. If you really want a margin of error, a model with 18-20mm of eye relief is better. But I wear glasses and can say that I've used models with ER as short as 15mm with no probs.

One more thing - if you can go to a shop with some models to try out that would be best.

Matt

more suggestions welcome

Ummm....
no I 'm not going to buy a 8x32, it has too low exit pupil.
I just "discovered" that my old bino exactly is a Nikon 8x42 "DCF HP"... the warranty expired on june 2009.
Anyway, on saturday maybe I'll be able to try some Nikon and Bushnell.
Well, it's time to list the ones I'm checkig out (just in internet so far...) :
  • Minox BL 8x44 BR
  • Minox BV 8X42 BR
  • Nikon MONARCH X 8.5x45DCF
  • Nikon MONARCH 8x42DCF
  • Legend Ultra HD 8x42mm
  • Bushnell Elite 8X42

thanx again, some more ideas for the above list are welcome

Andrea

The legend Ultra should work. I see most of the field with glasses on, and I do not have the best glasses for birding. Most of the time they are in my pocket.

Buy the Ultra HD with confidence. You will have to spend 10x more to get better OPTICAL performance. The mechanical performance could be better, but the price is so cheap you can buy two and still have one to use while having the broken one repaired or replaced under the Lifetime Warranty.

I tried 3 of the Bushnell binoculars : Elite 10X43, Elite E2 (10X42), Legend Ultra HD. Optically, the Legend and the E2 seem to be similar.
For me, the Elite was better than Elite E2 and Legend. The Elite was more confortable and clear. Another problem : the twist eyecups of the Legend are too short for my face (only 2 steps).
My Hawke Frontier ED 10X43 are in the same category but cheaper. I must compare it with the Nikon Monarch soon (I find the Nikon 10X36 not very clear.)

(Andrea, puoi venire in Francia per provare i binoculi ! Sarai benvenuto... :t:)

Last edited:
  • Nikon MONARCH X 8.5x45DCF
  • Nikon MONARCH 8x42DCF
  • Minox BL 8x44 BR
  • Minox BV 8X42 BR
  • Legend Ultra HD 8x42mm
  • Bushnell Elite 8X42

I think I decided....
Yesterday I tried both Nikon listed above, both are good but the 8x42DCF in about 100 gr lighter (important) and about 300 Euro less expensive. This 8x42 is available in an italian store (Ebay store but also a "real" store I think) for about 240 euro, and tomorrow I can even be there (I mean, in the store!).
The bigger MONARCH X 8.5x45DCF also is rather strange if you look at the shape, I don't like it a lot.
I also want to avoid ordering from outside European Union due to custom charges (+22 % or similar), time wasting and so on.... also for the warranty I think it's better to buy something "local".
For the Bushnell and Minox listed above, I have never tried them, also they are more expensive than the Nikon I choosed, if I buy in Europe.
Nikon has always bigger eye relief.

Welll, I think I must decide once and for all.
:brains:
At last, sorry for cross posting but I want to reply in oth sections I wrote for my “problem”.
Thanx for all the replies.

I tried 3 of the Bushnell binoculars : Elite 10X43, Elite E2 (10X42), Legend Ultra HD. Optically, the Legend and the E2 seem to be similar.
For me, the Elite was better than Elite E2 and Legend. The Elite was more confortable and clear. Another problem : the twist eyecups of the Legend are too short for my face (only 2 steps).
My Hawke Frontier ED 10X43 are in the same category but cheaper. I must compare it with the Nikon Monarch soon (I find the Nikon 10X36 not very clear.)

(Andrea, puoi venire in Francia per provare i binoculi ! Sarai benvenuto... :t:)
Yeah, it does that for the 8x42. I got used to it. The 10x42 without glasses on and eye cups out is fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back