• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Early Elite's (1 Viewer)

What about the 2nd generation, like the 7x36? They look physically very similar to gen 1, only with rubber armour.
I recently had the good fortune to acquire a B&L 8X42 Elite - 2nd Generation, Version 1 (not phase coated). It is SN: AA0720 and Model: 61-2843 and is rubber armored with a metal ribbed focus wheel at the front. It is in optically excellent condition and its optical performance is outstanding. Although not phase coated, I can see no difference in daylight viewing when compared to my Swarovksi SLC 8X30 purchased new in 2011 other than the Elite has better stray light control (much less glare when viewing toward a sunrise) than the Swaro. Also, the Elite's FOV seems more than its stated 7 degrees appearing to be slightly greater than the Swaro's which has a stated 7.8 degrees FOV (better eye-relief?). Perhaps I could discern lack of phase coating at night with a star test but in daylight viewing I can't. I was interested to read in this thread that the 1st Generation Elites had an Uppendahl prism cluster and am curious if the 2nd generation do too. Does anybody know? I suspect the 2nd Generation are likewise Uppendahls because except for the rubber armor they appear identical to the 1st Generations.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back