• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Katmai 8x32's (1 Viewer)

Had an opportunity to look through and play with a pair of these over the weekend that belonged to a fellow birder. I was impressed with the appearance and brightness of the image. Thinking about splitting with some retirement dollars for a pair. Any comments?

Waxwing@ispwest said:
Had an opportunity to look through and play with a pair of these over the weekend that belonged to a fellow birder. I was impressed with the appearance and brightness of the image. Thinking about splitting with some retirement dollars for a pair. Any comments?

Oh, no, not retirement dollars. How many would be involved?

Elkcub (ex-employed)

Waxwing@ispwest said:
I preface this question by saying that I've never looked through the Leupolds in question.

Having said that, have you compared them to the Pentax DCF-SP 8x43? If not, you may want to. I just did a fairly lengthy back-and-forth comparo between the SPs and a new pair of Swaro 8.5x42's. Aside from the obvious advantages of the ELs (FOV, extra magnification), the Pentax really were excellent. Maybe I got a good pair. :)

Waxwing@ispwest said:
Just looked at the Eagle's online and now have a question. Do they have twist up eye pieces? Their info page is pretty sparse except for basic basic's.

They do have twist up eyecups. They are sold through the website and Wild Birds Unlimited stores. They are nice pieces, but if you can swing the extra 40 bucks I would recommend the Pentax DCF SP 8x32. Virtually identical piece, but with aspheric elements and twist and lock cups. The Rangers, without the aspherics, have a little field bowing, but not drastic.

At Eagle Optics the Rangers go for $359, the SP sells for $393.

FYI, I believe the Katmai 8x32s are related to the Pentax DCF XP 8x33, but with lesser prisms. (If you hadn't known, most Japanese made binoculars come from only two manufacturers, and are sourced slighly differently by the companies who sell them to us.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back