• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wind River Pinnacles 10x42 by Leupold (1 Viewer)

Jaeger01

I purchased these from Eagle Optics with the decision based solely on Stephen Ingraham's review on BetterViewDesired.com, and initial impression is that they are almost as good as he and Leupold claim. Here is the link to Steve's review for those interested:
http://www.betterviewdesired.com/leupold/pinnacles.html

Pros: very competive price, very sharp and bright image along with 2 sets of eye cups. One contured for those who don't wear glasses, prescription or sun. Second for those that do wear one or the other while birding. Very small physical size.

Cons: I do see some chromatic aberration which Steve said was totally absent. I also see some softness at the edges.

The Specifications:

Field of View 267 ft./1000 yds.
Eye Relief 16.5 mm
Close Focus 6.6 ft.
Weight 25.0 oz.
Dimensions (HxW) 5.5 x 4.75 in.
Weatherproofing Waterproof

As Steve claims, they do feel very comfortable in the hands, maybe a mite heavy for one handed use when you get to be an old geezer like myself.

The focus control is very fast and smooth and the close focus is every bit as good as claimed. Are they as bright and sharp as anything on the market except the Zeiss Victory IIs and some new bino's out since his review was written. I've looked through some Swarovski EL's and in my opinion, they are much nicer bino's, but at considerably a higher cost. I only paid Eagle $399 USD for these. They were the least expensive place I could find them and they have a 30 day, no questions asked return policy with your only cost being the shipping.

Considering that I could not locate a pair of these within 60 miles of Chicago to try out, I wanted to be able to return if they were not as I thought they would be. They are truly worth every penny of what I paid or maybe twice as much.

Jaeger near Chicago

Last edited:
Robert Ellis said:
Chromatic abberation is unavoidable in a roof at that price.

Did you read his review? It's very slight and some might not notice it, but Steve has always had a very good reputation for the accuracy of his reviews and I wonder why he would say it if he didn't beleive it.

I have read every review on his site, multiple times. You have to remember two points. At that range there can be noticeable image quality from unit to unit and Leupold, knowing that, made sure he got a good pair. If you notice he reviewed them on the spot for an ad for Leupold. Nothing against Mr. Ingraham.

Jaeger01 said:
I purchased these from Eagle Optics with the decision based solely on Stephen Ingraham's review on BetterViewDesired.com, and initial impression is that they are almost as good as he and Leupold claim. Here is the link to Steve's review for those interested:
http://www.betterviewdesired.com/leupold/pinnacles.html

Pros: very competive price, very sharp and bright image along with 2 sets of eye cups. One contured for those who don't wear glasses, prescription or sun. Second for those that do wear one or the other while birding. Very small physical size.

Cons: I do see some chromatic aberration which Steve said was totally absent. I also see some softness at the edges.

The Specifications:

Field of View 267 ft./1000 yds.
Eye Relief 16.5 mm
Close Focus 6.6 ft.
Weight 25.0 oz.
Dimensions (HxW) 5.5 x 4.75 in.
Weatherproofing Waterproof

As Steve claims, they do feel very comfortable in the hands, maybe a mite heavy for one handed use when you get to be an old geezer like myself.

The focus control is very fast and smooth and the close focus is every bit as good as claimed. Are they as bright and sharp as anything on the market except the Zeiss Victory IIs and some new bino's out since his review was written. I've looked through some Swarovski EL's and in my opinion, they are much nicer bino's, but at considerably a higher cost. I only paid Eagle $399 USD for these. They were the least expensive place I could find them and they have a 30 day, no questions asked return policy with your only cost being the shipping.

Considering that I could not locate a pair of these within 60 miles of Chicago to try out, I wanted to be able to return if they were not as I thought they would be. They are truly worth every penny of what I paid or maybe twice as much.

Jaeger near Chicago

Jaeger,

Here's what Steve said in that article

"The color purity is indeed very good, bordering on the ad’s “superb”, with chromatic aberration, in particular, so well corrected that it is difficult to see any at all, even when looking for it."

I interpret his careful selection of words to mean there is visible CA in the bin.

John

Again, there is significant variation from unit to unit at that price AND the unit he reviewed for the ad was handed to him by the company, who undoubtedly chose a better (if not doctored) example for him to review for the ad. Interpretations aside, if a $300 roof consistenly showed little to no CA we would have been raving about it here constantly.

Robert Ellis said:
Chromatic abberation is unavoidable in a roof at that price.

"CA is unavoidable in any bins with prisms. It is possible to minimize the amount of CA, but in general the following is true: the better the optics are the clearer you will see CA. That means, if CA is the limiting factor in respect of optical quality then you look through a pair of high class bins. Some people regret to see it because their bins are so expensive. But if optics are bad enough, you can't even see CA."

I got this information from Zeiss and Leica.

Regards
Walter

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back