• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leupold Gold Rings (1 Viewer)

JCJ said:
:h?: I have to agree with MORK on this one.I thought they were on par with my 8.5el's and 8x42 fls.Color wasn't as good but resolution equal and flatness of field better than FLs and about same as ELs.Thought they were still a little ahead of my ultravids in resolution but not color.And besides, how would you know this being there very scarce.Thought I got one of the first pair.

JCJ,

I found your comments about the Golden Rings very interesting. I am a big Leupold fan and was curious to see how their venture into the top end binocular range would pan out for them. Could you offer anymore comments on this binocular, especially in comparison to the Zeiss, Leicas and Swaros?

Justin

Justin said:
JCJ,

I found your comments about the Golden Rings very interesting. I am a big Leupold fan and was curious to see how their venture into the top end binocular range would pan out for them. Could you offer anymore comments on this binocular, especially in comparison to the Zeiss, Leicas and Swaros?

Justin
I think the LGR's are very favorable in comparison to the ELs,FLs. Leupold could put a $1500 price tag on them and people's phycie would have said their as good as anything else. People automatically accociate price with quality. In general this is true up to a point. Remember it coast no more for Zeiss,Swaro.,Leica to produce binos, than it does Leupold. Your paying import fees,Euro vs Dollar, that sort of thing,and lets not forget a name; although they have it for a reason. Know this, binos of the same make and model will have differences, so this is subjective. Three 10x42s of the same make and model may be different, one has better color, resolution, less glare, you get the point. Back to your question. To my eyes the ELs or SLCs offer the best overall image. The Zeiss is probally as good in the center, but fall short near the edges. The LGRs remind me more of the Swaros. They have a flat image with a high resolution. When I said the color wasn't on par with my Leica or FLs, I meant they have sort of a dead view, so to speak, in compairson. But so does my ELs. The LGRs feel very robust in their construction, very solid. They have decent eye relief, and the 10's have a huge FOV, 65 degrees. As you can probably tell, I really like the LGRS. My opinion is it's really a toss up between them and the ELs. I like them both. Best price I have found is at DNRSports.com. P.S. Don't forget about Nikon!

Last edited:
You got a much different impression than I did. I have looked at three pairs, one for about four hours of useage. I thought they were good, but I would not rank the up with the big three.

ranburr

ranburr said:
You got a much different impression than I did. I have looked at three pairs, one for about four hours of useage. I thought they were good, but I would not rank the up with the big three.

ranburr
Ron F Collins here, what binoculars do you currently own?I have owned the big three and still have two.In my opinion there is only one that is in the leupold golden ring class as far as the big three go,and by the way kahles and minox are still sucking in mississippi.

Last edited:
JCJ said:
I think the LGR's are very favorable in comparison to the ELs,FLs. Leupold could put a $1500 price tag on them and people's phycie would have said their as good as anything else. People automatically accociate price with quality. In general this is true up to a point. Remember it coast no more for Zeiss,Swaro.,Leica to produce binos, than it does Leupold. Your paying import fees,Euro vs Dollar, that sort of thing,and lets not forget a name; although they have it for a reason. Know this, binos of the same make and model will have differences, so this is subjective. Three 10x42s of the same make and model may be different, one has better color, resolution, less glare, you get the point. Back to your question. To my eyes the ELs or SLCs offer the best overall image. The Zeiss is probally as good in the center, but fall short near the edges. The LGRs remind me more of the Swaros. They have a flat image with a high resolution. When I said the color wasn't on par with my Leica or FLs, I meant they have sort of a dead view, so to speak, in compairson. But so does my ELs. The LGRs feel very robust in their construction, very solid. They have decent eye relief, and the 10's have a huge FOV, 65 degrees. As you can probably tell, I really like the LGRS. My opinion is it's really a toss up between them and the ELs. I like them both. Best price I have found is at DNRSports.com. P.S. Don't forget about Nikon!

JCJ,

Thanks for the insight! I am further intrigued by these new Leupolds! I currently have a pair on there way to me and am going to try them side by side with a pair of 10's in each of the following: Swaro SLC, Leica Ultravid, Zeiss FL and Nikon LXL. I should have included the Nikons in my original inquiry, as I do think they are an awesome binocular and one of my personal favorites. Good point about the pricing! I wonder what sort of price they'll go for over seas?

Justin

mork said:
Ron F Collins here, what binoculars do you currently own?I have owned the big three and still have two.In my opinion there is only one that is in the leupold golden ring class as far as the big three go,and by the way kahles and minox are still sucking in mississippi.

Well good for you. I own or have access to most higher-end binos. The exception would be the Nikon line up. At any rate, I have never said that Kahles and Minox are the top of the line. I just consider them to be a best buy as far as performance versus price. Your statements show that you really don't know much about optics. I stand by my statement that the Gold Rings appear on par with the Kahles and Minox of the world and that is not a bad thing. I do not see the GRs at the level of the big three and for the money I don't think they can be expected to be. They are good binos and if you like them best, good for you. They will save you a few dollars.

ranburr

I briefly tested a pair of the Leupold Golden Rings alongside some Leica Ultravids, Nikon LXL's, Swaro SLC's and a pair of Zeiss FL's. From my very novice point of view, the Leupolds (to my dismay) were a clear step down from the others, both optically and in there construction ( I thought the eyepiece could use a little work and the rubber on the body appeared to be a little loose). I do think that they would probably fair pretty well in the $1000 and under market.

Knowing Leupold, if they are really serious about putting a contender at the top of the binocular market, they will figure out how. Maybe they are testing the waters with this attempt.

As a side note, my personal favorites out of the lot were the Nikons and the Leicas. Overall I would probably tip the scales in favor of the Leicas. If only they came with the extremely precise and beautifully engineered focus wheel that the Nikons have!

I don't make any mention of the Zeiss because I think the pair I have to test are a bit of a dud. I tried a different pair at a local sporting goods store about 2 months ago and came away conviced that nothing else compared to them. The pair I have now don't replicate the view I experienced from the others at all. This experiece has left me a bit confused concerning the FL's.

Also, as far as the Swaro EL's go, I put them right up there with the Ultravids, Zeiss and Nikons, but have a hard time justifying the price when the latter three perform just as good, if not better, for a lot less money.

Justin

Last edited:
Justin said:
I briefly tested a pair of the Leupold Golden Rings alongside some Leica Ultravids, Nikon LXL's, Swaro SLC's and a pair of Zeiss FL's. From my very novice point of view, the Leupolds (to my dismay) were a clear step down from the others, both optically and in there construction ( I thought the eyepiece could use a little work and the rubber on the body appeared to be a little loose). I do think that they would probably fair pretty well in the $1000 and under market.

Knowing Leupold, if they are really serious about putting a contender at the top of the binocular market, they will figure out how. Maybe they are testing the waters with this attempt.

As a side note, my personal favorites out of the lot were the Nikons and the Leicas. Overall I would probably tip the scales in favor of the Leicas. If only they came with the extremely precise and beautifully engineered focus wheel that the Nikons have!

I don't make any mention of the Zeiss because I think the pair I have to test are a bit of a dud. I tried a different pair at a local sporting goods store about 2 months ago and came away conviced that nothing else compared to them. The pair I have now don't replicate the view I experienced from the others at all. This experiece has left me a bit confused concerning the FL's.

Also, as far as the Swaro EL's go, I put them right up there with the Ultravids, Zeiss and Nikons, but have a hard time justifying the price when the latter three perform just as good, if not better, for a lot less money.

Justin

Justin,

In the first para. you said Swaro SLCs but in the last refered to Swaro ELs — you know, the one's with the high price tag ;). Which is it?

Regards,
Elkcub

"Knowing Leupold, if they are really serious about putting a contender at the top of the binocular market, they will figure out how. Maybe they are testing the waters with this attempt."

Knowing Leupold, they aren't serious, or they aren't able to. They've been in the water quite awhile now. They may be big in the hunting market, but I've only seen one Leupold product in the field in my 12 years of birding. Not that they haven't tried to break into the birding market, they've wasted plenty of advertising in the birding mags. It's the quality (rather, lack of quality) that has kept them out. Well, maybe $/quality.

They've been in the water long enough that they shoulda figured it out already.

They may get lucky and have a market niche created for them with the ever increasing prices of the top of the line bins.

Last edited:
Bill Atwood said:
... They may get lucky and have a market niche created for them with the ever increasing prices of the top of the line bins.

True, and I would go a little further. Having bought top-end binoculars for the last 15 yrs., and some older porros in cherry condition, more than ever the idea of purchasing high-end as a "lifetime investment" makes a great deal of sense. Amortized over the many years of pleasure they will provide, with no money lost on junk, they're actually still a bargain. To get to that status a manufacturer has to earn it, however, not just depend on luck.

elkcub,

Sorry about the confusion. My comparisons were done with the SLC's. The purpose of my last paragraph was to state why I did not have a pair of the EL's on hand to try alongside the "top guns" of each represented manufacturer.

Bill,

Good points. I truly am a novice to the binocular market, but to my understanding this is Leupolds first attempt at a binocular over the $500 mark. Please correct me if I am wrong. Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss and Nikon have been producing bins of this caliber for years and their top models still get picked apart.

Justin

Justin said:
Good points. I truly am a novice to the binocular market, but to my understanding this is Leupolds first attempt at a binocular over the $500 mark. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Justin

AFAIK, the new GRs are indeed the first Leupolds priced over $500; although I'm not sure what difference that makes. They've been in the optics business for 50 years and have had several roof prism bin models. It appears that their pinnacle actually was the “Pinnacle”. I thought it was a pretty nice bin, except for the eyeglass user problem that Steve Ingraham noted. Leupold then stepped backwards when they came out with the disappointing Katmais and Cascades. These were additional low to mid-priced roof models, even though they already had the decent low/mid Pinnacles. When almost every other 8x32 made (except the Pentax XPs and Zeiss Conquest) has an FOV of over 390 ft, Leupold puts out 8x32 Katmais with an FOV of only 335ft! Sheer genius.

Based on your own comments (and others I have heard, I have not seen them yet) it appears that the GRs are a noticeable step back from the top end. (Plus I found out today that they weigh 33-34 oz) I don’t believe this is appropriate for a $1,000 bin. There are still the “previous edition” big 4 models (Trinovids, SLCs, Victories and HGs/LXs) on the market for $800 to $1,200. Optically most of these older models are very much still in the premium bin ball park, and in some cases maybe even better than the newer offerings. Hell, the new Nikon 8x32 HGL/LXL sells for $900. From what I am hearing, it would kick the GRs butt big time.

For near $1,000 you may also want to look at the Vortex DLS too.

Justin said:
Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss and Nikon have been producing bins of this caliber for years and their top models still get picked apart.

Justin

"Nitpicked" apart would be more accurate. For the most part, nits are exactly what a lot of us here are bitchin' about regarding the top bins from the big 4. Our gripes with these bins is that they aren’t absolutely perfect. If a bin has larger issues we aren’t gonna waste much time on its nits.

Listen, I have nothing against the Leupold itself. It just seems the GRs have stirred up a little irrational exuberance about the brand. I would love to see a US company like Leupold (Swift and Bushnell too) rock the birding optics world with some premium bins. We could tell those “foreigners” Swarovski (Leica & Zeiss too) to stuff it!. But until then I’m outsourcing the bulk of my optics purchases.

When it comes down to it, Leupold doesn’t do better in the birding world because their price/performance ratio is too high, all across the board.

Bill,

I appreciate your straight to the point opinions! All in all I am really disappointed that Leupold did not live up to my personal expectations. I've looked through many of their fifle scopes out in the field and have even compared them to different binoculars I've had with me (Swaro EL and Leica Ultravid) and always thought they would be able to produce quite a pair of top end bins. Oh well, there is always next time and if not, like you, my money will be flowing overseas! Thanks again for your insight.

Justin

P.S. My $500 comment was aimed to give Leupold a little grace. Most companies that dive into a whole new market (under $500 bins vs. $1000 bins) experience a few bumps along the way. An example of this would be Ford and the compact car market. Ford produced the Ford Focus roughly 5 yrs. ago to compete with the Toyota Corollas, Honda Civics, Mazda 3's, etc. To my knowledge the first years production was a bit of a lemon. It was a strong attempt on Ford's part but did not come close to the imports. Jump to the year 2005 and the Focus is one of the fastest selling and highest rated cars in its bracket.

Last edited:
Justin said:
Bill,

I appreciate your straight to the point opinions! All in all I am really disappointed that Leupold did not live up to my personal expectations. I've looked through many of their fifle scopes out in the field and have even compared them to different binoculars I've had with me (Swaro EL and Leica Ultravid) and always thought they would be able to produce quite a pair of top end bins. Oh well, there is always next time and if not, like you, my money will be flowing overseas! Thanks again for your insight.

Justin

P.S. My $500 comment was aimed to give Leupold a little grace. Most companies that dive into a whole new market (under $500 bins vs. $1000 bins) experience a few bumps along the way. An example of this would be Ford and the compact car market. Ford produced the Ford Focus roughly 5 yrs. ago to compete with the Toyota Corollas, Honda Civics, Mazda 3's, etc. To my knowledge the first years production was a bit of a lemon. It was a strong attempt on Ford's part but did not come close to the imports. Jump to the year 2005 and the Focus is one of the fastest selling and highest rated cars in its bracket.

Actually I think Leupold did a pretty fair job in their attempt to make a decent bino to compete in the higher mid range, they're optically very good and my only real objection to them is the fact that their weight is way too heavy for a mid/top of the line bino. Construction could leave something to be desired also. However, like the Pinnacles that Bill put down because of the 'eyeglass' wearer problem (fixed in late 2003 or early 2004), they'll make some improvements pretty quick based on their past history.

I am not a huge fan of the Gold Rings. But they are still better than 90% of the binos on the market. They are about what I would expect for their price. As far as the Pinnacles and other Wind River products go, that is simply brand labeling rather than manufacturing. The Gold RIngs are not the top of the line, but they are far from being lemons.

ranburr

Jaeger01 and ranburr,

Sorry if my last post made it sound like I thought the Golden Rings were lemons. I was just trying to make the point that I strongly believe in Leupold, and, like Ford, this first attempt was just that, a first attempt. I am hoping that Leupold makes any and all changes that all us "nitpickers" point out and come back with something that really knocks our socks off!

In my first post after trying the Leupolds I stated that I believed they were a step down from the top guns. I think that is giving Leupold quite a compliment on the Golden Rings! To be honest, I was hoping they would be like the Nikon LXL's; a lot lower in price that the Zeiss, Swaros and Leicas, but equal in optical quality. The Golden Rings are a good pair of binoculars, they just did not meet my personal (and far-fetched) expectations!

Bill,

I drive a Subaru!

Justin

Last edited:
Hello.
A majority of our local club members,(11/15),virtually all of whom use german or austrian bins, ranked the new LGR as being very competitive with or belonging in the top 3(+) following a 6 hour (in the field) "pass 'em around' eval. These folks are older and are extremely discriminating with regard to optics. Three of the members with german optics stated that the view through the GR's appeared to be equal to or superior to theirs. Most felt that the view and performance was very similar to that of the EL's. The consensus was that the LGR was perceived as top drawer and not a 2d tier product and that it may do very well with birders.

I believe that some of us may be surprised when more critical evals and testing are completed. To my eyes the LGR presented a view only very slightly different than my Ultravids...warmer color, I suspect. Based on the above, the product may very well be as good or better than Leupold claims.

Best,
Bill

Last edited:
Bill Atwood said:
AFAIK, the new GRs are indeed the first Leupolds priced over $500; although I'm not sure what difference that makes.

The prior generation of U.S. made Gold Ring roofs (8 x 32 and 10 x 40) were priced just under $1000, offered individual focus only and were intended strictly for the hunters market. They were also not phase coated, and it's not surprising that they went unnoticed by the birding community. I own a Japan made Leupold Gold Ring 7 x 30 individual focus unibody porro (7.6 degrees field) from the mid '80's, and am still amazed at the brightness, flatness of field, and remarkable sharpness and contrast. Depth of field is also astounding (from roughly 30 feet to infinity), hence the Leupold claim of the time that the glasses were "one time focus". Incredibly, Leupold still has replacement rubber eyecups in stock, which they replaced without charge. Its a great company with products noted for total reliability, and I look forward to trying the new Gold Rings when they make their way to Texas.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back