• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice for the tiny 50ED (1 Viewer)

albatrosviajero

Hi,

Now, I am looking for a small spotting scope, a tiny scope,manageable,portable,slight pound,I have saw very good calification for the Nikon ED50, here in this forum....also I am interest in to start with the "digiscoping", I saw that this spotting scope have the possibility of to buy the "Kit Disgiscoping"( Nikon ED50 scope+adapter+eyepiece 16X or 27X...camera nikon P4...), my question is if this configuration is good for a neophite of the digiscoping like me?

There is some other alternative for this configuration", any other tiny scope with some possibilities for the digiscoping, without to lose the visual observation perspective?...

Thanks,
Al.

Yes it is a nice scope useful in the forest and for longer walk. For digiscoping, it is good in bright lights because of the limited 50mm of its objective lens and get the universal swing digiscoping adapter with either DS26 or DS27x eyepiece.

If it's a small scope you want the little ED50 is brilliant. DS eyepieces are also great for viewing and with a swing out bracket any camera could possibly be used. Nikon also do a range of fixed brackets to fit specific Nikon cameras. Google, Nikon Sport Optics for their full range. To sum up your question "Is it good for a beginner" as with anything new practice (and a bit of luck) makes perfect.

Last edited:
Hello,
Maybe the Zeiss 65mm is a good alternative for the Nikon ED50, or maybe is in other league?
There is a big difference between this two "lens" ?

Al.

Hello,
Maybe the Zeiss 65mm is a good alternative for the Nikon ED50, or maybe is in other league?
There is a big difference between this two "lens" ?

Al.

Yes both is different in weight and size of objective lens ;)

If you have chances to try both in the shop, go ahead because different eyes sees different things with scopes and also binoculars :king:

hello,

Very much thanks for thr responses.
The Nikon ED 50 work OK on a monopod? ( I am a great walker)
In this sense is best a straight maybe? (with the monopod),
And with monopod the eyepieye "perfect" is...?

Too much questions maybe!!
Thanks again..
Al.

The Nikon ED 50 work OK on a monopod? (I am a great walker)
In this sense is best a straight maybe? (with the monopod),
And with monopod the eyepieye "perfect" is...?

The ED 50 works pretty well on a monopod. I would, however, spend a bit more and get a Monostat (http://monostat.com/E/index.php). The difference between "normal" monopods and Monostats with their funny-looking rubber foot is quite astounding in practice. With a normal monopod I can use magnifications up to ~20x for satisfactory views, with my Monostat that goes up to ~40x.

Straight or angled: I prefer angled, but I'm pretty tall, so I only use angled scopes. A straight scope doesn't make much sense for me. I use a cable-tie sight on all my scopes, that works very well indeed with the ED 50.

Eyepieces: That's a question of personal preference as well. I use either the 30x/38xWA (that's 20x with the ED 50) or the "old" 20-45x zoom on my ED 50, that's 13-30x on the ED 50. That eyepiece is smaller and lighter than the newer 20-60x zoom and optically pretty good. It isn' good for spectacle wearers though.

All of the Nikon eyepieces are pretty good, get one that suits you and your personal preferences.

Hermann

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back