• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Martin nest boxes (1 Viewer)

creedence

I have a couple of House Martin boxes to put up next year. I was just wondering how likely they are to be occupied? Some of my boxes, eg Tree Creeper box, have never been touched. Also how much of a problem can sparrows be in taking over the box? There are a few pairs nearby. With thanks.

I have had two House Martin nest boxes (well clay cups) on my house for 4 summers now, and nothing has nested in them. They have been visited once or twice but they are obviously not to the prospectors liking! What is doubly frustrating is that 6 of the 8 houses of the same design as ours on the same street have genuine House Martin nests in the gable roof, but not ours!!

Thanks Lazza, sorry to hear about your lack of success. Do you think it matters which direction the boxes face? N S E or W? You didn't even get House Sparrows?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back