• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

austria visit (1 Viewer)

medinabrit

i will be visiting austria in may and hope to visit swarovski factory .does anyone know if i will be able to save any money by buying scope there instead of in the usa.
thanks brian

I really, really doubt it.

Most European optics prices seem substantailly higher than US prices, even considering the recent fall of the USD.

Even if you could, you likely would have to pay a whopping sales/value added tax. Since you are a US citizen you may not have to pay it, or may be able to apply for a refund.

You may also be liable for any US Tariffs over the personal exemption limit. The exemption is probably $400 for Austria. The traiff for a spotting sdcope appears to be 8%. And don't forget to include any VAT you paid in the valued of the scope.

There doesn't appear to be any tariff on bins.

And, as if that were not enough, SONA (Swarovski Optik North America) will not provide warranty service unless purchased in the USA.

I don't think discounts are likely. Besides, I thought the factory tours involved only the crystal side of swarovski... maybe wrong though.

medinabrit said:
thanks for the feedback . i guess i'll carry on buying in the US.
Brian

I advise not only to buy in US, but to save the money that you would have otherwise spent for visiting the factory, and go birdwatching instead. You would see some assembly lines/tables and some workers polishing lenses. If that is important to you, go ahead.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back