• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oare Marshes - short visit. (1 Viewer)

James Armstrong

Flowerpot Man
Finally made it to Oare Marshes (see RobinM's thread in County by County Index and his visit report recently). Geraldine and I arrived in Oare about 5pm tonight after deciding to give it a quick visit on such a pleasant evening. We didn't have any idea of the tide times but thought we'd go anyway to see what the area was like. Expecting something industrial like so much of that part of North Kent, we couldn't believe how picturesque it was!
Once we'd negotiated the village and found the right road to the reserve (couldn't see a signpost), we found we were in luck. The tide was obviously in because to our right as we drove past the East Flood it was wader world! We pulled into a space by the side of the road and saw several other birders out with their scopes, some remaining comfortably ensconced in their cars! The amazing thing we noticed about this place is how fearless were the birds and how close to the road they fed.
So we got great close views of avocets, curlew sandpipers, black-tailed godwits and ruff as well as dunlin, redshank (hundreds), and scores of ringed plovers. I think we saw a green sandpiper or two as well but at a distance couldn't be sure. Didn't get any new ticks but it was a great evening.
One little highlight was a guy with his family (wife and young son)
came over to me and asked what the large flock of redshanks were. I helped him identify a few birds and they were all lifers for him! He had that big old AA Book of Birds under his arm and had been trying to id them using it! He'd spotted the avocets and it was the first time he'd seen them too! He was in seventh heaven and had a totally blissed-out look on his face. Told him about birdforum. I think we might have a new recruit!
We ended the visit by driving up to the end of the road. We looked at the board and noticed peregrines and little stint had been observed so we dipped out there. Walked up to the sea wall and couldn't get over how many hides there were all around.
There were also fantastic views of the Swale and Isle of Sheppey. We enjoyed a stroll up to the new hide to the East at the junction of the Swale and Faversham Creek. Didn't see anything new but after we got back to the car park and looked at the map of the reserve we decided to come back very soon and spend a whole day here. Probably tomorrow!

james

Hi James, nice spot. I got plenty of Bar-tails but need Black-tailed for the yearlist.. and avocet, and ruff and curlew sand and redshank....

The Drunken Bustard has become a moveable feast... tried the Chat Room version last night and it is manic. Not sure I can handle it....

Hi Charles,

Noticed you popped into the DB. Haven't seen the chat room version. Must go and investigate. Have you had a chance to go birding recently? What's birding like in Japan? Is it popular there? Many reserves?

james

James: Glad you enjoyed yourself. It's certainly one of my favourite places and only 25 minutes drive for me. At this time of year a count of 500+ Black tailed godwits is not unusual.

It is worth timing your visit for the tide. There was a thread on this recently and the following website was recommended http://www.ukho.gov.uk/tideprediction.cfm . This gives tide times for 7 days in advance. If you take the Herne Bay time and add about 15 mins you'll be about right for Oare. I reckon that 2 hours before high tide is a good time to be viewing the Swale. As well as seeing the waders pushed in by the tide you will often see seals on the horse sands. (Off the East End of Sheppey as you look from the new hide).

We were very lucky the last time we were there. A juvenile peregrine flew down the creek and then proceeded to try to catch one of the waders off the Swale. It tried for about a minute unsuccessfully and it then flew to the other side of the creek and landed on the rocks. It sat there for about 10 minutes looking totally knackered. Obviously the hunting skills needed a bit of improvement.

That sounds a pretty good spot James, well worthy of a days visit.

I'll second Robins tide prediction website, but bear in mind it gives the times in GMT

This bifurcated correspondence is making me schizophrenicker.

Too hot to bird here. I'm missing the rest of shorebird migration.

Pretty short on reserves here, James, but the few spots we have get a healthy sprinkling of what must once have been-- in the Edo Period-- an awesome passage from Siberia to Southeast Asia and back in autumn and spring.

Birding is far too popular here, with busloads of identically clad and equipped retirees motoring in to all the good spots, marching in a phalanx around the marges, forming impregnable circles of scopes around Little Egrets, and so forth.

I'm planning a trip ASAP to Oare as the place seems to have come up time and time again in my recent conversations.

Another artist friend of mine went recently and met a guy coming off the reserve who told him that there was nothing there and he may as well not bother. My mate bothered anyway and said he was amazed at the sheer numbers of birds, all fairly common species, but that's not such a bad thing.

I enjoy watching birds, any birds, rare or not, makes no difference to me.

James and Robin, p'raps I'll bump into you at Oare sometime.

Woody

Woody: During the hot weather we went to Oare several times - it was about the only place that was bearable.

As to there being nothing there. Depends what your definition is. At this time of year there is nearly always a good selection of waders and because the East Flood comes so close to the road you can get some realy good close views. Hence my pictures of curlew sandpiper in the County By County forum and the attached view of wood sandpiper both taken within the last month or so.

See you there - I'll make sure I keep wearing my BF cap!

Attachments

• woodsand.jpg
    woodsand.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 278
It was just wonderful to see so many waders again. I could watch them all day, especially the avocets beak-sweeping the water. They are gorgeous! And lots of small birds in the reeds as well. We'll investigate them another day.

I'll be on the lookout for BF caps from now on. I saw some at the Lee valley bird fair but didn't know what they were about then.

Just realised, you won't be able to see me though; I'll be in camo from head to toe, I'll just have to hum to alert you to my presence3:)

Woody

Woody: Hope I don't trip over you!

Geraldine: Worth spending some time checking the reed beds from the path that runs down from the new Swale hide along the creek. There are a number of bearded tits there.

Hi Woody and Robin
Thanks for your responses to my visit. We must have a Kent BF get together one day. Geraldine and I are still very much on a steep upward learning curve with our bird identification and would
welcome a bit of help from a few friendly faces (with BF caps on). Actually I now hear you thinking, For God's sake don't wear the caps or we'lll get cornered by James and Geraldine! Oare is only about 45 minutes from us. We also go to Dungeness, Elmley, Sandwich Bay Bird Observatory. They've got a new scrape with hide down the road from the centre -well worth a visit:- check it out on www.sbbo.co.uk. Also Rye Harbour reserve is worth a visit - here are hides. Also Samphire Hoe off the A20 between Dover and Folkestone (continuation of the M20) if you're passing - you can see the peregrines that nest there, also fulmars, red-backed shrike, black redstarts. No hides but a nice walk with stunning and bracing (!) views of the white cliffs and the English Channel. Visitor centre & cafe.

James: I'm not a regular at SBBO and have never been to Samphire Hoe. Another place worth putting on your list is Stodmarsh.

A while ago a Kent BF get together was proposed, but it fell through. Given the number of Kent members we have I think the idea should be revived.

Hi Robin,
Yes, Stodmarsh - G and I need to go back there now it's cooled down a bit. We had a really horrendous day a few weeks back when it was so hot - got eaten alive by the insects and all the birds must had heat stroke as we didn't see a thing! BTW great photo of the wood sandpiper. What digiscoping gear do you use?
Where and when do you recommend for the get-together? (we're definitely up for it!) Oare?

james and geraldine

I know what you mean about the insects at Stodmarsh. Must admit we avoided it in the really hot weather. Went there on Sunday and had a good day.

Thanks for the compliments about the photo. I use a Leica APO 77 with 20-60 zoom and the coolpix 4500.

Get together. I would offer to organise, but I'm tied up with the Birdforum Great Global Bird Count (GGBC) details of which will be appearing later this week. Oare may be a bit small if a large group turns out - the previous attempt we went for Elmley. Maybe we should do a post and see what interest there would be.

I'd be up for a bit of a get together, particularly if it was at Elmley. I need a lot of help with ID especially of waders and LBJs so yould all have to be gentle with me.

Woody

What about an impromptu get together this Friday at Oare Marshes? Geraldine and I were going back there then anyway, aiming to get there about 2 pm and stay until about 6pm (which should coincide with the high tide (need to check for exact time but should be about right). Hopefully we should have our BF caps by then. If not we've got a small silvery-gold transit minibus T468 HAP (but not on our heads!) If any BFers are there come and say hello and we'll exchange notes. We'll also look out for you. Don't worry about Geraldine - she'll have taken her medication by then!
Also, Woody, don't worry about your id skills - as I mentioned before we're not exactly experts!
If we don't see you there we could arrange something later for Elmley anyway.
Robin, We've got a Nikon 80A scope and are thinking of getting the coolpix camera you have. Read quite a lot of critiques of it in these pages recently - are you happy with yours? Would you recommend it?
Carlos, are you busy Friday? Bit of a trek from Norfolk assuming you're not working Friday?

james and geraldine

Can't do anything but weekends I'm afraid and even that depends on what DIY my 'works foreman' (wife) has planned for me!

Woody

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the Japanese info. Very interesting. What was the Edo period? Just seen a thread from another ex-pat birder in Japan. I think it was in the local patches section. No sign of the drunken bustard in the chat rooms...
Cheers :t:

james

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back