• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Using a Monopod (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
I have found the best way to use a mono-pod, if I can.....is to actually shorten it up and sit down on the ground. By doing so I can better support the mono-pod with my arms and body to avoid any shaking. In addition, many times I get a shot that would not be had since I am shooting from the 'ground to the bird" as opposed to standing up looking at a bird regardless of where it is.

If I can't sit down....I try to support the mono-pod by leaning against a branch, post etc.

A mono-pod alone is great because it is more easily set up than a tri-pod but there will always be some shakes if I only use just the pod 'as is'

Anyone else have thoughts?

I have found the best way to use a mono-pod, if I can.....is to actually shorten it up and sit down on the ground. By doing so I can better support the mono-pod with my arms and body to avoid any shaking. In addition, many times I get a shot that would not be had since I am shooting from the 'ground to the bird" as opposed to standing up looking at a bird regardless of where it is.

If I can't sit down....I try to support the mono-pod by leaning against a branch, post etc.

A mono-pod alone is great because it is more easily set up than a tri-pod but there will always be some shakes if I only use just the pod 'as is'

Anyone else have thoughts?
Monopods work even better with a shoulder stock once you get the knack of using it, totally agree that lower is better you can even throw a camo net over yourself very quickly.
Brian

Try a WalkStool. Lightweight, comfortable, yet strong enough to support me (anybody who's met me will realise that's a significant claim). Lets you take the weight of your legs, use your tripod with the lower section legs closed and adds support to your monopod.

Blimey, you'd think I owned shares in the company rather than being an avid fan.

I used to have a stool like that...years ago. It finally broke. Not sure if it was a Walkstool but it sure did the same thing. Lovely product...

I use a monopod 90% of the time with the D3 and the 500/4 +1.4x, both standing and sitting and in the hide. I can run faster to the other side of the hide when the peregrine shows up with the monopod. Neil.

My monopod's almost constantly attached to my 100-400mm zoom.
I only take it off on arrival at a hide where I prefer the absolute rigidity of a small bean bag.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back