• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malaysia VI: warblers and drongos (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
And for the sixth and final episode (as many say should have been the case with Star Wars), there are these sortof leftover families - Drongos and wintering Warblers

1 and 2. Taman Negara

3. Panti Bunker Road

4. and 5. Fraiser's Hill

Attachments

• bMG_9487.JPG
    bMG_9487.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 19
  • cMG_0343.JPG
    cMG_0343.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 17
  • &_warblers.jpg
    &_warblers.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 35
  • aMG_6577.JPG
    aMG_6577.JPG
    307.6 KB · Views: 26
  • aMG_7009.JPG
    aMG_7009.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 25
1-2. both look like Bronzed Drongo
3. Arctic Warbler
4. Eastern Crowned Warbler
5. looks like Yellow-browed Warbler

To me #3 somehow the face pattern looks more like a Pale-legged/Sakhalin Leaf Warbler. Difficult to be certain with these photos... Happy to be convinced otherwise!

Agree with the other Phyllos but pass on the Drongo...

To me #3 somehow the face pattern looks more like a Pale-legged/Sakhalin Leaf Warbler. Difficult to be certain with these photos... Happy to be convinced otherwise!

Agree with the other Phyllos but pass on the Drongo...

I'm not seeing a PLLW/SLW, bill looks too pointed distally and lacks an obvious pale tip. In any case, it would be an exceptional record this far south https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=DgZCBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA277&lpg=PA277&dq=Birds+of+Thai-Malay+peninsula+Pale-legged+Warbler&source=bl&ots=dpW_h_87yX&sig=QuY7AufS-9FI6tdEmkjkn23YE-Y&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjS7e7j0tTaAhUnB8AKHWP9BoQQ6AEIRTAJ#v=onepage&q=Birds%20of%20Thai-Malay%20peninsula%20Pale-legged%20Warbler&f=false

Agree 'Arctic' Warbler sp.

Grahame

Thanks Grahame, yes the pointed bill I also found a bit disturbing ;). You're probably right with Arctic sp.

As for the distribution I checked HBW and also the link you provided. If I ask google maps for "Panti" or "Panti Bunker Road" result in two entirely different locations. Panti being much further south... Thought Panti Bunker Road could well be in range for PLLW/SLW.

Thanks Grahame, yes the pointed bill I also found a bit disturbing ;). You're probably right with Arctic sp.

As for the distribution I checked HBW and also the link you provided. If I ask google maps for "Panti" or "Panti Bunker Road" result in two entirely different locations. Panti being much further south... Thought Panti Bunker Road could well be in range for PLLW/SLW.

I'm sure they're the same place. Panti is a tract of lowland forest close to Kota Tinggi, on the road to Mersing on the coast, in Johor state. The main trail starting from the reserve centre just off this road is named after the two old WW2 bunkers you can see in the photograph. It's not too far from Singapore, where there are now three or four records of Sakhalin Leaf Warbler (identified by voice), so it's not impossible for SLW to occur there.

Attachments

• DSCN0471copy.jpg
    DSCN0471copy.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 6
Would some more photos of #3 be useful for this discussion?

Attachments

• aMG_4019.JPG
    aMG_4019.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 8
  • aMG_4042.JPG
    aMG_4042.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 12
  • aMG_4051.JPG
    aMG_4051.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 9
  • aMG_4053.JPG
    aMG_4053.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 10
As Grahame mentioned the bill is too pointed for PLLW/SLW. The lower mandible is all orange which is better for Arctic sp. as is the leg colour... As I said happy to be convinced otherwise!

What do you mean by "Arctic sp.", is this a reference that it could be also Kamchatka leaf warbler, or is there some further split that I am not aware of (and perhaps IOC doesn't recognize)?

What do you mean by "Arctic sp.", is this a reference that it could be also Kamchatka leaf warbler, or is there some further split that I am not aware of (and perhaps IOC doesn't recognize)?

No further split, just that you cannot safely identify to species on current knowledge in the absence of vocalisations. If you look at the latest List of the Birds of Malaysia (2016) you will notice that Japanese Leaf Warbler is listed as a migrant. Phil Round (pers comm) remarked 'Wells mentions a few specimens of "Arctic Warblers" with wings over 70 mm that he attributed to xanthodryas on the basis of the then accepted taxonomy. At that time, examinandus was subsumed under xanthodryas. I guess most of those birds were, in fact, examinandus, but so far as I know nobody has revisted the specimens to check.'

KLW is now known to occur as a regular migrant in Thailand so it seems likely that it passes through Malaysia which would explain Wells's long-winged specimens. There is only one confirmed record of JLW from the Gulf of Thailand (Koh Man Nai) on 14 Apr 2013

http://www.thaibirding.com/ornithology/autumn-kamchatka-leaf-warbler-bangkok.htm

http://www.thaibirding.com/ornithology/kamchatka-leaf-warbler-sakhalin-leaf-warbler.htm

http://www.thaibirding.com/ornithology/japanese-leaf-warbler.htm

Grahame

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back