• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

using 2 cameras (1 Viewer)

dolores

ok.got my lovely nikon D50 but would still like to use my coolpix 990 sometimes.when installing the d50 it said to uninstall nikon view which i used to download photos from my coolpix.
i have had 2 very frustrating calls to nikon with stupid suggestions.basically they didnt no.
i would have thought this was quite a common problem.
apparently it is not advised to run both softwares but my coolpix wont work with the picture project
If anyone has any helpful ideas i would appreciate them
thanks

No need for the software Dolores...

Find yourself an appropriate card reader(7dayshop.com have some cheap ones which have worked well for me) , attach it via a USB cable to your PC, and you can then access the photos on your card via your desktop/copy them over from your card to your PC HDD.

Leo

thanks leo,its taken me days to get an answer.u should get a job at nikon ! their support is rubbish.
Leo S said:
No need for the software Dolores...

Find yourself an appropriate card reader(7dayshop.com have some cheap ones which have worked well for me) , attach it via a USB cable to your PC, and you can then access the photos on your card via your desktop/copy them over from your card to your PC HDD.

Leo

I don't use Nikonview to download . I switch it off and just go into the camera drive and Copy and Paste to a new folder. Neil.

Yup. Leo's advice is spot on. broadly, the software you get from camera makers is just junk, designed for know-nothing people by know-not-very-much programmers.

Hey - what do you expect? If you want a great camera, buy it from a great camera manufacturer (like Nikon). If you want great software, buy it from a great software manufacturer. Would you buy fish from the plumber? A computer from the fish shop?

There is some fantastically good image manipulation software out there, but it's very rare indeed to see any of it bundled with a camera. As Leo says, using a flash card reader and the software of your own choice is by far the best.

dolores said:
thanks leo,its taken me days to get an answer.u should get a job at nikon ! their support is rubbish.

My pleasure dolores:)

Neil suggested a good alternative also... if you need to get to your photos in a hurry and don't have a card reader, but I would still recommend getting one, although they are by no means essential.

Effectively your camera is a reader, and if you look in "My computer" you should see it listed there along with all your other drives, when it's connected to the PC.

Leo

I don't use Nikonview - just like Neil said : i just copy \ paste to a new folder .
To my opinion - much easier and faster . ( and i shoot like 30-40,000 pics a year - not much - but a reasonable amount...).

Nikon View is useful if you're shooting NEF and are using a pre XP version of Windows, so that you can see them all as thumbnails (Win 95/98/Me don't recognise NEF files natively), but aside from that it's not really needed.

I use it, but that's just because I still use Win Me and without NV I'd have to open every NEF image in turn to see what it looks like.

Thanks guys. Iam in two minds to sell my coolpix 990 after getting great shots with my d50 will i ever wa :h?: nt to use it.i will miss getting the extra zoom but then the photos never come out that great. what to do ?

Keith Reeder said:
Nikon View is useful if you're shooting NEF and are using a pre XP version of Windows, so that you can see them all as thumbnails (Win 95/98/Me don't recognise NEF files natively), but aside from that it's not really needed.

I use it, but that's just because I still use Win Me and without NV I'd have to open every NEF image in turn to see what it looks like.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back