• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FZ1000....hand me my coffee...!! (1 Viewer)

SanAngelo

I've had enough...!!!

Having to change out the SD card or battery, you may as well put on a pot of coffee once it's mounted with the quick release plate.

Started searching for a solution today and this is what I've come up with;

ALZO LIBERATOR BATTERY DOOR CLEARANCE PLATE

I haven't pulled the trigger, thought I'd ask everyone here if there's a better work around than this. It appears Alzo doesn't think so after naming their fix the "LIBERATOR".

Last edited:
I've had enough...!!!

Having to change out the SD card or battery, you may as well put on a pot of coffee once it's mounted with the quick release plate.

Started searching for a solution today and this is what I've come up with;

ALZO LIBERATOR BATTERY DOOR CLEARANCE PLATE

I haven't pulled the trigger, thought I'd ask everyone here if there's a better work around than this. It appears Alzo doesn't think so after naming their fix the "LIBERATOR".

Interesting, but somewhat bulky set-up (at the bottom). And as important to rapidly change batteries as it is for changing SD cards.

Don't get me wrong, I love this camera.

However, if you watched me go through the change out you would see my caricature of the situation is not far from the truth. Dealing with hand tremors draws out everything, often with a degree of humor.

I've already dropped the camera once. It's okay, it was more of a tumble landing on the carpet from about 4 feet, top of mono pod. I tried to catch it, the law of physics kicked in at about a foot. It appears there was no damage, everything is working fine. Knowing these things would happen, I purchased an aftermarket warranty for all unforeseen damage. Did this with the initial purchase.

In the mean time, the camera is now tethered to my wrist, waist, shoulder, and chest....!!

As for the "LIBERATOR", if I don't get more feedback it looks like this will be my fix.

Obtrusion, bulk, and weight is a given.

You do wonder why things can't be rearranged by camera designers to allow battery access from the side, certainly on the more enthusiast type cameras? The Liberator looks a good fix for current technology.

I wish I had something similar when photographing a church yard, in snow, at night, with a tall tripod at about 7 or 8 feet up and me up a ladder in sub zero conditions when the battery died. The one night I didn't bring a back-up body, since it was local! The fact that I had spare batteries was a minor consolation.

I am now the proud owner of the ALZO LIBERATOR BATTERY DOOR CLEARANCE PLATE.

I love it...!! It makes me happy, which is a highly sought after emotion or is it a feeling? Regardless, it is so nice not to be fumbling with the camera just to change out the card or battery.

The plate is light weight and unobtrusive. It adds about 3/8 of an inch to the camera body. Under the plate, at one end is a slim rubber footing. The other end has a peel off re-stickable adhesive pad manufactured by Scotch brand, catalog # R101. The plate is screwed on to the camera body with a screw and allen wrench provided. Once in place I have notice no movement or shifting.

An unexpected plus is how well the quick release foot adheres to the ALZO plate, much better than it's ability to grab the material on the bottom of the camera body.

Did I mention I'm a happy camper...!!!

I have the same camera and issue with the battery/SD card door location. Thanks for posting this. Have just placed an order for one. For what it does and what it costs its hard to pass up.

I have to amend my previous post. My claim to "have notice no movement or shifting" is no long true.

I'm rough on the camera. I have a hand tremor which means I do not have a delicate touch when handling anything. This translates to how I grip and move the camera which stays fixed to my mono-pod; quick release on top of a ball head.

The pod sits in a pouch attached to my backpack's belt, one hand holds the pod and the other is twisting and pulling the camera, every which way the ball head allows it to go.

After awhile the adhesive pad attached to the plate and camera body could no longer take my abuse; it would shift on the plate. The fix is simple; replaced the adhesive pad with a small Velcro pad.

WalMart sells small pads in the sewing department. Velcro comes in different thickness; density of the hooks and loops. The pads are peel-off self adhesive. You cut the pad to the desired shape. I cut the Velcro the length of plate. The camera now sits like a brick. It's been months and I have no problems.

If you have movement, do not think it's the screw. It's not worth over torquing and stripping the threads.

No matter.....it's great to have easy access to that battery trap. You'll think so too..!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back