• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vanguard Endeavor II (1 Viewer)

oxygen

Hi all,

I am looking at the Endeavor II 8x32 and 8x42 and wonder if I could really go wrong. Unfortunately will be buying unseen. Current bins are the Monarch 3 8x42 which I still quite like and will be hanging onto.

Big upgrade?
Is the 42 worth the extra 230 or so grams?
Could the first Endeavor still be worth a look?

I have looked at many types and makes and can get the Endeavors at a great price. Initially wasn't even looking at them as they were at the upper limit of my price range then I found a local (to my country) store with great deals on the two models.

Cheers

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

The EDII would be an upgrade for sure, but tastes differ, and while I really rate it's optical performance, it doesn't seem to suite everyone. I wrote a report on it a while back.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=290229

I've never seen the Monarch 3 over here but I think it's similar to what we used to call the Monarch MkII on the forum. It had a rather more basic prism coating option than the current Monarch 5 or 7 and would have lower light transmission levels and contrast compared to the others and indeed the Endeavour EDII. However the colour balance would be somewhat more biased towards the blue end of the spectrum and the Vanguard the red which can mean the Nikon may seem brighter is certain light which some prefer. I feel the current Vanguards are at their best under blue skies.

The Endeavour line-up has the the ED with a more traditional slightly curved field of view, and the EDII with a flatter view. They are soon to be joined by the ED IV which will have the more neutral, dielectric coated prisms (instead of the warmer silver), higher transmission glass, and reverts to the curved field of view again. Different designs which are best suited to different situations. Which works best for you will depend on where and when you use them. A couple of things they do share is the fairly high weight, and, what I find is a slightly awkward grip. It probably suites those with larger IPDs better. It's going to feel a bit of a beast compared to the Monarch.

There really isn't much else to match the weight of the Monarchs as x42s. The EDII 8x32 might be a good choice for sunny days though. I could split hairs and argue it's not quite as good as the 42 but 540g is going to feel a lot better round the neck than 770g and for me the grip is much better too.

Good luck.

David

Last edited:
Thanks David, I had seen your report on the 8x42s and it was one initially got me interested in them. Good to hear the 32s are very close to the performance of the larger ones as that is the way I am leaning.

- I was initially after a smaller/lighter bin as some days carrying a DSLR/lens/bins gets tough.
- plenty of blue skies and sunny days here so the the 8x32 less light input shouldn't be much of an issue.
- the IPD sounds like it may suit better.

Still quite happy with the Monarchs so think the ED II sounds great. Basically need a second pair for a trip so the 8x32 should be quite suitable and aren't being purchased as a straight upgrade. Very nice if it ends up that way though.

Cheers.

I can't add much to what David said above, other than the EDII and the original ED have very fast focusers, which may take some adapting to (but is fine when you have).
The Hoya glass in the EDII significantly reduced (to almost none) the CA which the first model exhibited. The edge-to-edge clarity of the EDII is also remarkable at this price point, with a flat view that provides none of the often-associated rolling ball problems.

I can add a positive note on Vanguard customer service. I bought my mom a pair of the Endeavor EDs a few years back. She enjoys birding and is a great hunting guide for me. Last year I noticed a loose eye cup and overall poor cleaning by my mom. I recommended she send them in for cleaning and to fix the eye cup. She of course waited months and just sent an email that they sent her new binoculars!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back